fuel filler

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
garthom

fuel filler

Post by garthom »

Wiill this fuel filler work? I am trying to figure out if I can mount fuel filler in center & towards rear of hood on my buggy with rubber hose straight down. It measures 2 1/4" in total length. I can shorten it to 1 1/4" if I have to. I know I will have to weld short pipe up from gas tank. With chronic back condition I can't get up under dash to measure space. :help: Thanks, Gary
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

That will definitely fit. I'd cut it off where it steps down to a smaller diameter. That will leave plenty of clearance to weld a sufficiently long filler neck on the tank for the filler hose to clamp on securely.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

Gary, I used that filler on my buggy. Keeping the filler in one piece, you will have approx. 3"-4" of hose needed to reach a relocated bung. This area was taken up with some fuel resistant radiator hose and clamps. Image
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Gary, a little tip that may help > I put a similar filler on a Manx type hood a few years back, I cut & welded the filler neck on the new gas tank between the sender & the back of the tank. Then got a rusty old gas tank & cut a hole in the same place,, then cut the bottom out to use that as a template to mark out the hole on the underside of the hood ,,,, just saved a bit of guess work. Nothing worse than cutting the hole in wrong place,, it needs to be right so you don't get a kink in the short length of joining gas filler hose.
garthom

fuel filler

Post by garthom »

Nelson, Dave, & Mel. Thank you for making a harrowing experience, (drilling holes in new hood & gas tank), tolerable. The building advice from people on this site has saved me countless hours and headaches.Thanks, Gary
markmark

Post by markmark »

You will also need to make sure that your fuel tank has a breather pipe so that the fuel can flow out of the tank. I fitted a fuel filter to my breather so that dirt can't make it's way into the tank when I'm off road.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard"]Gary, a little tip that may help > I put a similar filler on a Manx type hood a few years back, I cut & welded the filler neck on the new gas tank between the sender & the back of the tank. Then got a rusty old gas tank & cut a hole in the same place,, then cut the bottom out to use that as a template to mark out the hole on the underside of the hood ,,,, just saved a bit of guess work. Nothing worse than cutting the hole in wrong place,, it needs to be right so you don't get a kink in the short length of joining gas filler hose.[/QUOTE] Another way I've done it is to weld on a way too long filler neck, then cut it just long enough so the hood will fit down in place(it takes a couple tries of cutting and fitting). Then with the hood in place, scribe a line around the top of the neck on the inside of the hood. Then remove the hood and find the center of the circle you scribed and drill a small pilot hole(smaller than the pilot drill of the hole saw you're using). Cut the hole from the gel coat side. I like the hole saws with the tungsten carbide grit edge better than the saw tooth type. I think you can also put masking tape over the area you'll be cutting to reduce chipping the edge of the hole in the gel coat. You'll also need to cut the too long filler neck down so it doesn't interfere with whatever filler cap assembly you use. Then use a piece of fuel filler hose to connect the tank and filler(not radiator hose)
Don Giovanoni

Locating Filler Neck Hole in Hood

Post by Don Giovanoni »

I learned a great trick to determine where to cut the hole in the hood. I put a flashlight in the centered filler neck in the gas tank, then installed the hood. I could easily see the light circle through the hood. Marked the center of the circle. Took the hood off and taped a paper towel over the gas tank filler neck. Drilled a small hole at the previous mark and pushed a straight section of coat hanger through the hood and poked a hole in the paper towel. Took off the hood and was pleased that the hole was in the middle of the paper towel. Gave me the courage to use a 2" hole saw to the hood. Fit perfect. Whew! Use tubing designed for gasoline to connect the filler to the gas tank. It will have to bend a little as the hood is slanted. Good luck,
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Don Giovanoni"]I learned a great trick to determine where to cut the hole in the hood. I put a flashlight in the centered filler neck in the gas tank, then installed the hood. I could easily see the light circle through the hood. Good luck,[/QUOTE] Don, thats a bloody good one ol fella!!! I would never have thought of doing that in a million years :rock: Im going to put some miles on that one :D
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

After taking a few preliminary measurments, I would cut the hole in the hood, install the tank, then set the hood back on the buggy and mark the tank thru the hole in the hood.
Gary1719

filler

Post by Gary1719 »

Were did you buy that fuel filler?
garthom

fuel filler

Post by garthom »

Got it from B.A.T. Inc. out of Sarasota Florida. Look for Aero fuel filler caps. Gary
TMc2548

Post by TMc2548 »

I have a filler from BAT on my buggy. I love it. Sorry I don't have a pic. To find out the location of the hole in the hood I mounted the tank with the hole cut out for the tank fill and then placed the hood in position. I used the pipe I would later weld in place to the tank and working under the hood I slipped it into the hole in the tank. Then I raised the pipe until it contacted the hood squarely then traced the location out with a Sharpie. I took the hood off and drilled the hole where the pipe was. The resulting hole was perfectly centered to the tank fill.
Gary1719

Filler caps

Post by Gary1719 »

Thanks for your help but i am not coming up with any thing on B.A.T. inc. what kind of company are they.
tgodber

Post by tgodber »

Here is a link for the BAT fuel fillers. http://64.202.180.37/files/cap.pdf