1977 type 3 fuel inj. help please

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

1977 type 3 fuel inj. help please

Post by Gene-C »

I know this is off topic for this forum but I have found more heplfup people on this site thatn anywhere else. I bought a 77 bus w/ type 3 engine. starts with starting fluid but soon stalls. I have a Haynes book on the bus but it says fuel injection work is best left to professionals with Bosh testers... Anyone have ANY info that might help? where might I find the correct testers?
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

The Bentley manuals have an extensive section on troubleshooting the fuel injection. If you do a search online you will see there are quite a few websites for troubleshooting VW FI.
tpinthepack

What is the problem?

Post by tpinthepack »

I just finished a complete F.I. renew on my 1979 super beetle with fuel injection. IT is really easy. I used the Bently book. My car would not run, I followed the trouble shooting procedures. Checking the double relay, fuel pressure and all injectors. I ended up having plugged injectors, and a bad fuel pump. I replaced all hoses, and cleaned the tank well. It runs awesome.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Thanks guys. I picked up the bently book this afternoon. ( Gonna throw the Haynes book in the trash...) I havent checked it out yet but I am sure the info is in there i need....:laugh1:
Lee

Post by Lee »

Here's a good online source for all things VW Bus: http://type2.com/ Go to the "Library", select "Fuel" and scroll down to "Fuel Injection". You will find a couple of items that may interest you.
ericrb76

Bug and Bus are different

Post by ericrb76 »

Bug and Bus fuel injection are different. A 1977 bus has a type 4 motor, a type 3 is almost the same as a beetle. One injection system is called L-jet the other J-jet, not sure which is which. On a bug all four injectors fire at the same time, on a bus they fire one at a time. Vacum leak- these set ups will not run with a vac leak. Disconnet the plug to the mass air flow senor, try and start the van with it unplugged. if the van starts then you have a vacum leak Double Relay- this thing always goes bad, it is what switches the power from the computer and fuel pump when the ignition is in the "start" or "run" position. Fuel Pump - Have someone try to start the van and place your hand on the fuel pump, does it run? Do you have pressure in the FI loop? If the fuel pump does not run this could either be the fuel pump itself or the double relay. Peace
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Thanks Eric.
tpinthepack

really doubt

Post by tpinthepack »

type 3. would be a type 4 new. not easy to convert to a type 3. would be much less power