how much is in you toy

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

How much is in your toy?

Post by Gene-C »

I hope this is not a problem asking .. I was just wondering what the average person puts into his hobby I am hitting the 14k range.. it is nuts.
Mvovr

Post by Mvovr »

Well......... Started at $5000.00 Added $1000.00 Now plan on adding about $1500.00 to get here back into shape. I got a loooonngg way to go to catch you guys for sure!!!:dollar:
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I have given long thought on what has to give on my toys.. Thinking i may have to sell one... to pay for my buggy habit....
Lee

Post by Lee »

I need a new choice to be added: "I don't know, and I don't WANT to know!".
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I'd say to build a nice brand new buggy, budget for around 7-8k. Have someone else doing the labor.... 12-15k. As for my toy, lets just say its paid for......but it took four years of collecting parts to get here. :D :D MURZ
subimanx

Post by subimanx »

Around $30000,it's paid for and if the wife finds out I'm a dead man.....
jr_vw2

Post by jr_vw2 »

Dido on that subimanx . I stoped counting at about 6K but I am guessing by the time I get it done it will be around 9-10k. But everything that I have as of now is paid for. But the boxes of parts are still rolling in:D
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

When i finished id spent ?17,000 around $30,364. Never dreamt it would go that far . My woman kind of sussed it was costing more than i was letting on but she' s cool now as long as i dont sell it. I know my place honey
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

My theory is there are a lot of ways to waist money. Not many of them put this kind of a smile on your face. (and still be legal) :D Comparativley speaking, it isn't a great investment (or even good) but I am sure I can get a majority of the money out of it if I ever needed to sell. A country club would be much more expensive. It is something my son and I can enjoy together. My father and I never really took on a project like this, but even the small projects that we did do, I remember like they were yesterday. Nothing beats opening up the garage to see that shining red buggy. I assure you, my garage is the envy of every one of my male neighbors under the age of 70. I work hard and deserve a decent hobby. Nothing de-stresses a person quicker than a nice ride after work. These are just some of the justifications that I have given my wife as the UPS truck pulls up for the third day in a row dropping off boxes of shiny things that she knows aren't free, but isn't quite sure what they cost....... :crazy:
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Yikes. There are some high $ buggies on here. I've probably invested just over $5K in my buggy. But, I did a lot of horse trading for parts and got a bunch of good finds/deals on the engine build.
90volts

Post by 90volts »

10k+ here. its a first buggy- now i know better LOL. I see it just like Dave. At least i'm not out at the bar every night with nothing to show for it. did that when i was younger and have absolutely nothing to show for it. again, now i know better. i can't put a price on the fun my boys are having with it. besides, stock options and overtime have paid for everything on mine. not a bit on credit. yeah, definately too much money to even think about trying to recoup. i am going to have to keep it forever now. :D
dunebuggyjay

Post by dunebuggyjay »

Stopped counting after 14K, and I did all the work. Engine and tranny alone was close to 6,000 in parts. My next buggy will be a cheap beater. I just wish there was a body manufacture that was closer to me. Every buggy I have been looking at was in serious need for fiberglass work and paint. Its usually MUCH cheaper to get a new body than fix up an old one. (esp if you want metalflake) unless your like John S, and find someone to do it for you cheap! My Classic Manx, is, and probably always will be a work in progress. Its just hard to swallow how much time and money went into it. I love it though, wouldn't change anything about building it. (thats why I want to build another one)....I really love building things! Its Kinda like adult legos! -Jay
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

Original buggy project that followed me home almost a year ago. $200.00 Parts buggy, wheels, tires, misc. parts $1,000 (got away cheap so far) it pays to shop around. Quality time with my son, and the learning experience for him...Priceless We haven`t even begun building the engine yet, so that`ll be a huge investment.
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

I guess I have close to $8,000.00 in my manx but that doesn't count the things such as the leather sofa, chair, and attoman along with the other trinkets that I had to purchase when ever my wife saw a new box show up. So if you add that stuff in then it becomes an astonomical figure that I do not need to know. I just think of all the relief from stress that I get out of just driving around.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="seabeeBuggy"]I hope this is not a problem asking .. I was just wondering what the average person puts into his hobby I am hitting the 14k range.. it is nuts.[/QUOTE] No problem seeing where your mindset is! ggg $500-$2000 "It can start"????? Come on...most FGB's that aren't NEW and CHROMED...on the west coast have been put together for $2k! Maybe because used parts are plentiful? note: I find this the same situation in another type of car that I have...