Everyone wants a buggy. No one wants to work for it

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Gene-C

Everyone wants a buggy. No one wants to work for it

Post by Gene-C »

Funny how many times someone will come up to me in my buggy and say how cool it is., how they really want one. They offer to buy mine but of course I say its not for sale. Then I tell then about the 2 project buggies I have for sale. suddenly their interest fades. I try to explain that to have a buggy you can take anywhere anytime, you pretty much have to build it. That I spent 2 years on my buggy and I could never sell it and get paid for my time. Sometimes They ask me to build them one. but as soon as I tell them what it would cost they back away. Sure, I could slap together a buggy for next to nothing with the parts I have lying around but thats not what they want or anything I would sell. :2cents:
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Just keep in mind that it's not like buying any used car and just getting in, turn the key and go. They are afraid of anything that might have to be worked on. They are use to taking their car to the mechanic if something breaks, and figure everything is real complicated, so they couldn't possibly know how to work on it. The average person's mechanical inclination is pretty basic, and even the thought of rebuilding a vehicle from the ground up is absolutely intimidating. I know without the internet, and a couple of good manuals, I would have never been able to do our buggy. The thing to try to do is sell any potential buggiers on how (relatively) easy it is to build one. And with all the help on the internet, they are never really alone if they get stuck on a problem. :D
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Too true what you guys say,,, building your buggy is all part of the fun I thought,,,,, the kids love to get involved too :driving:
Don Giovanoni

True, but...

Post by Don Giovanoni »

This is what keeps buggys exclusive and a reflection of the owner/builder. Not to make excuses for today's youth, but when most of us grew up cars were less complicated and easy to work on with common garage tools. Plus, old $50 VWs were everywhere. Today's cars are so complicated and require special tools plus emissions always hanging over everyones head, most people don't even try to learn how to work on cars.
fubar

Post by fubar »

I bought my nephew a 1965 Barracuda with some money I had saved for him over the years. All he needs to do is buy car insurance, very expensive for a teenager but an obtainable goal. He is more interested in slacking than working I think....He did help me rebuild my buggy and welds production stuff when I ask him to, but was raised by a "consumer" rather than a "producer". He was talking about selling the car and getting a truck. I told him the car would sell for more with a nice set of wheels, so we looked at some used Centerlines at the tire store. I think he was expecting me to buy them, but I was trying to "lead the horse to water". There is a different mindset today, kids think that they are entitled to the same deal that their wealthy friends get.
bountyhunterdm

Post by bountyhunterdm »

How true. Now that I got my buggy on the road, my 17 year old son wants to drive it. So I tell him it's not broken in yet and it's really not what I would like him to learn to drive a stick in. He helped a little with the assembly but not as much as I had hoped the bonding experience could have been. So now the wife is nagging "let him drive it" So I tell both of them it's not that easy I still have a few kinks to work out with the shifter. It doesn't work. So I get tired of it and take to boy down to the local church parking lot and let him have a go at it. After 5 stalls he finnaly looks at me and said "Ok you were right" . Oh Yeah So then he starts to listen and we get him going between first and second gear several times before he give up and says we both agree that he needs several more lessons before he takes it on the road.. Like I'm going to let Junior and his buddies go for a joy ride :driving: Here he and his buddies are being interviewed by the local cable channel at the San Dimas ,Ca car show a couple of weeks ago. I think the cable girl got to him as he told her it had 500 horsepower... :crazy: Image
167luckycharm

Post by 167luckycharm »

Hey Dean, your story got me laughing...not at your son or your car, just the thought of a young-un trying to impress the girl. My youngest son was the one that put more effort in learning how to do some wrenching during the buggy's construction. This was summer of '03 when he was really into the Fast & The Furious cars and those movies. At age 7 then, he helped me build the engine by handing me the tools. Finally took the car for its maiden voyage around the neighborhood later that Holiday Season. First trip down my street was all by myself as I wanted to sneak the car past the family and catch their first response. Yep, Kodak moment! Pulled back up to the yard and my youngest jumps in and calls shotgun...what else would you call that! We headed around the block, several streets above our row of houses, and opened it up a little in 2nd gear. The break-in period was not complete yet but I could not help feeling the torque out of that 1776. Came home and pulled back into the yard, still smelling like burning hi-temp paint and silicone sealant, I let him jump out and I parked it under the garage (quick-tent). He is all smiles and I'm sure I looked just like him, only 36 years older. With that, I ask him what does he think of our new ride. He says it's got a lot of power, looks very nice, and he likes it. So with that sh*t-eating grin still on my face, I ask him what's his favorite car... "A Mitsubishi Eclipse" That grin just melted right off. THERE's that Kodak moment!!! :eek: Aloha!
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Yeah, but you gotta love the honesty!... Give him30 years, and he'll come around :D .
fubar

Post by fubar »

well, my nephew pulled his head out, so I scored him some used Centerlines and some used tires. People we yelling "cool car" etc on the way home . kind of like in the buggy, but not that cool. ..Image