fuel filter help

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Siggymanx33

fuel filter help

Post by Siggymanx33 »

I just acquired a towd that I am going to do a minor restoration on. Everything is in pretty good shape but I do have an immediate concern. The car is leaking some gas from a fuel filter that I don't recognize. I was wondering if the butterfly on the bottom of the filter is used to tighten it? I was also wondering what my best course of action is to replace it (temporarily but keep the car in working order) or bypass it without draining the whole tank? I don't like to have raw gas dripping around the garage and I have a bunch of other stuff to do to it before I tear into the fuel system...... Pretty simple question but I really haven't had much time to mess with it with the holidays, etc. Thanks for any sugestions.
Old-Towd

Post by Old-Towd »

Dave I put a ball valve shut off valve on my Tow'd works great and doubles as a theft device. You can reach under and shut the fuel off. Also, when parked in the garage you don't have to worry about any of the fuel lines leaking. Just use the after market inline fuel filters. Old Towd
Jay - We Sacrifice Quality So You Can Save
1969 Sand Rover T pickup
1962 Baja / 1986 CT110 Honda Trailbike
1973 Thing / Yorba Linda,Ca.
MC 2693, RBC, DSB, SoCalBajas, hondatrailcts, BurroBuggies
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

Will the plumbers tape hold up to fuel? I realize it is going to have to be re-done. I guess I am just trying to stop the leak until I get around to replacing it.....The previous owner was excited to let me know that she just recently topped off the tank. I was just out there and the appears to be a petcock on the filter, it didn't move easily and I didn't really want to get into a massive gas leak at 9:30pm. The filter is interesting and appears to be pretty delicate.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

The filter/sediment bowl looks like the same thing I have on my 1962 Cub Cadet lawn tractor. You should be able to turn the shutoff screw in until it seats to shutoff the fuel into the bowl. I hope this helps.
turbovair

Post by turbovair »

Hello Dave: The wingnut tightens the 'bail' that keeps the glass bowl tight against the top housing. To remove and clean the filter element you undo the wing nut and swing the bail out of the way. Needless to say, that isn't what you want to hear. Is there any rubber hose in the system? If so you can simply crimp the rubber hose and stop the fuel flow while removing the filter and replacing with something new. To actually answer your question: yes IF you can tighten the little petcock looking handle it may stop the leak, it will NOT shut off fuel flow through the car. Best, Steve Manx clone w/ turbo Corvair Manx #299 Denver, Co
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

No rubber, that is the bottom of the tank. I will try the petcock on the side tomorrow to see if I can get it tight enough to stop the flow from the tank. I will also try the bottom butterfly...again I was messing woth it tonigt but didn't want to get in too deep. If not, I'll just have to be prepared to drain the tank and tackle this first
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

You shouldn't have to tighten the shutoff valve real tight because it has a taper and should seal up/shut off with minimal pressure. The shutoff valve will shut off the fuel into the sediment bowl and consequently to the rest of the buggy. I wouldn't consider replacing it with another sediment bowl type filter. Everything I have had that has that setup on it, always weeps a bit of fuel from somewhere, even when they are new.