My still incomplete blue buggy. A Fiber Jet Manx.

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
TMc2548

My blue buggy. A Fiber Jet Manx.

Post by TMc2548 »

From humble beginnings... Image Image Image progressing slowly... Image
TMc2548

Post by TMc2548 »

cut, welded, and now painted... Image trans and rear suspension on... Image hand made carpet... Image body on with hood mock up... Image
TMc2548

Post by TMc2548 »

current status... Image large hole at rear of buggy... Image plug for said hole... Image that's the Cliff's Notes version of the build. I'm totally thankfull for the support from the members of the Manx Club and the other clubs I frequent, RBC, and DSB. I could in no way gotten as far as I have without the invaluable assistance you've given me. Thanks a bunch!
manx1111pla

Post by manx1111pla »

Real nice build Tom, bet you can't wait to drive it.
TMc2548

Post by TMc2548 »

You are spot on. I'm so close to drivability that I'm getting anxious now and then. The seats should arrive in the next couple of weeks and hopefully by the Tahoe run I should be behind the wheel. Crossing my fingers til then... :D
steve heckert

Fiberjet Manx

Post by steve heckert »

Tom Please contact me I live in Granit Bay. 791-2084. Member 1949. Burro owner.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I heard that Fiberjet did a Manx-a-like but I didn't realise it was that close a copy. Looks neat!!!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
TMc2548

Success! Wiring complete!!!!!!!

Post by TMc2548 »

The spaghetti is done! Sort of. I finished up the wiring and most of the insulation to the point where I could quickly connect the lights and other circuits with exception of the ignition. So far so good. All lights work exceptionally and even the warning lamps light up when I turn the ignition key to the on position. I bumped the starter for the tiniest of moments and it turns fine. At least the solenoid activates and the starter tries to turn the engine over. I think I used this test battery's reserves up in the process. Whats left is the actual securing of the loom to the body in the rear. I need a few clamps and I'm done. Woo Hoo!! The Princess is waking up!!!! edit- ps. Dave, the body from Fiber Jet was taken from a mold that once belonged to Bruce before he parted ways with the company. I forget off the top of my head who bought it but it ended up at Fiber Jet where I got my body. It is modified to fit IRS and is a great looking body.
90volts

Post by 90volts »

way to go...almost there now huh? can't wait to see a vid of it on it's way! hope it runs as good for you as it looks!
TMc2548

More progress!

Post by TMc2548 »

Wiring is complete! Mounted the new battery. Image Here's a closer look at the hold down I whipped up. Image It's simply a piece of 1" x 1/8" flat stock with two 8mm x 1.25 105mm bolts at each end backed underneath the well with a identical piece of flat stock and nylock nuts. The rubber insulator is from the body seam moulding I had left over. There is a square piece of marine carpet under the battery to help keep it from sliding around. I have to replace it with a piece of rubber mat but I didn't have one handy at the time. I still need to run fuel lines and oil filter lines then I can gas her up and see how that engine runs. Bought some oil for that. Valvoline racing part number 850. It has zinc additives in it for the cam break-in. Thanks to jsturtlebuggy for the help in getting the right stuff. Looking at the 23rd to get my new seats. Ordered mirrors too. I'm so close I can taste it.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

TOM...... You might think about "up-sizing" those battery cables... :2cents: :D
TMc2548

Must be the full moon!

Post by TMc2548 »

SHE'S ALIVE!!!! Just finished her high RPM break-in not too long ago. It's apparent she needs some tuning but after a few necessary parts... coil, swap compufire for traditional points and condensor... She coughed, backfired, and RAN!!!!! WooHoo!!!!!!
TMc2548

I just had to do it.

Post by TMc2548 »

After a couple of days of fiddling with the carbs I got it running enough to be drivable. A quick clutch adjustment and then it was around the block I went! What a blast! I wasn't out too long. The exhaust if basicaly a straight pipe with a spark arrestor and really loud. Besides, it's still too hot around here so I got her back in the garage and went inside to cool off. With some more tinkering I should be able to get it running decent, if not half way there. See you all at Tahoe! :D
TMc2548

Firing order is 1, 4, 3, 2. Not 1, 3, 4, 2. Doh!

Post by TMc2548 »

It's amazing how much better the engine runs when it's firing on all cylinders. Wow. Tonight I started to clean out the garage and decided to fire up the engine with it's now proper firing order. After a quick start and warm up I made small adjustments and the response was quite different from what I had previously experienced. After pushing the buggy outside to finish sweeping I looked at her and got my daughter. Together we hopped in and drove around the block a few times. What a blast! What's better is that once I got back to the garage my two sons were waiting for us. I couldn't miss the opportunity to take the boys out for a spin. Smiles all around!
subimanx

Post by subimanx »

CONGRATULATIONS !!!! You can't beat the feeling of going for a drive after all that hard work !! Top effort...