Who Has a Transvair Buggy

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Old-Towd

Post by Old-Towd »

I'm looking for someone who has a Transvair Buggy that can take a photo of the rear engine mount like the side view or at least can explane it. HELP
Jay - We Sacrifice Quality So You Can Save
1969 Sand Rover T pickup
1962 Baja / 1986 CT110 Honda Trailbike
1973 Thing / Yorba Linda,Ca.
MC 2693, RBC, DSB, SoCalBajas, hondatrailcts, BurroBuggies
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

There is a 12 page article about the Transvair in Petersen's "The Complete Volkswagen Book No. 2" published in 71. Did you mean the front mount? At the front, there is a flat plate that bolted with U-bolts to the torsion tube housing after you cut off the frame horns. The flat plate had a pair of brackets that the corvair front transaxle mount was bolted to. The rear mount was just a bracket that attached the corvair rear engine mount to the cage. Below are pictures of the front mount. Image Image
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Old Tow'd"]I'm looking for someone who has a Transvair Buggy that can take a photo of the rear engine mount like the side view or at least can explane it. HELP[/QUOTE] That has to be the cleanest workshop ever :hello:
fubar

Post by fubar »

That shop is cleaner than my office.... Would a 914 transaxle have the right rotation for a corvair motor? They are mid engine ? 5 speeds and 4 spyders...
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

If you used a stock rotation corvair engine with a 914 trans that was turned around and mounted with the engine in the rear, it should work. However, you would be turning the transmission in the opposite direction that it was designed to turn. It would probably work for a while but its hard to say how long. Its the same with VW transaxles that have their ring gear flipped to run corvair engines. I've heard some seem to hold up pretty well.
Old-Towd

Post by Old-Towd »

Hey buggy buddies, Thanks for the input. But this buggy already had a sad running 95hp Corvair and Corvair 4 speed. That motor was smoking badly. I found a running Corvair car with a 110hp and Corvair automatic for $300.00 to be a donor. I thought I had bagged all the parts but the rear motor mount on the engine is not lineing up right. I guess I'm getting old, I don't remember how it went. I took lots of photos but apparently none of the rear mount. I was just hopeing I could find someone with a Transvair buggy that could take a photo of the rear mount. Thanks, Jay (Old Towd)
1969 Sand Rover T pickup
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Jay, Here is a top down shot of the transvair. All the engines were closer to the cage on the left than the right. The rear mount was just a 90 degree angle bracket that attached the rear engine mount to the cage. Image
turbovair

Post by turbovair »

A guess about the mis alignment of the rear mount might be the difference between 60-63 and 61-64 w/air cond. The slot was further back on the A/C cars and also the 64 used a harmonic dampner thus the mount was further back also. Best, Steve
Old-Towd

Post by Old-Towd »

WeLL JUST CALL ME STUPID, LIKE CairoManx PHOTO SHOWED THE ENGINE DOES SIT TO ONE SIDE MORE THAN THE OTHER, THE BIG GAP ON THE RIGHT IS FOR THE MUFFLER IT MOUNTS ON THE INSIDE OF THE CAGE, LOOKED AT A Corvair Buggy at the V.W. Classic, Irvine.Ca. and said I can't belive it. well thanks Buggy Buddys anyway.
1969 Sand Rover T pickup
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

There's a buggy with a 140hp Transvair on ebay now (Item 4653522808). Its got a really "unique" style. Image Image Image