Bus Transmission Noise

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
ROSSDC

Bus Transmission Noise

Post by ROSSDC »

I have a 5-rib bus transmission in my buggy that makes noise in 4th gear. The noise is only in 4th gear and is really noisy when you let off on the throttle. Is this a common problem? Normal? Fixable? I pulled the transmission out of a camper bus with 80k miles on it that was in a salvage yard with a bad engine. When I drained the fluid it was clean with very little metal on the magnetic plug. The transmission is mounted very ridged with urethane mounts. It shifts and functions properly, just noisy. Any suggestions?
fubar

Post by fubar »

That transaxel is the best bang for the buck. I would start looking for another one and drive it until it blows up . They are REALLY strong except for reverse. It would be perfect for a sand buggy because they do not normally spend a lot of time in 4th gear. I think the core on those is up to $250 ?? I bought a whole bus to get one and paid $500. Or you could send it out and have it redone for $2,000.
markmark

Post by markmark »

I've seen old Kombi's sell for less than $500 (AUD) with running engines and good transmissions. I saw a Kombi (minus engine) sell for a carton of beer which still had the transmission in it. Definitely value for money! I think I will convert my buggy to a 1600 Bus transmission soon, the main cost over here is the conversion kit, not the transmission.
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

I have a 1973 ball joint, swing axle 1300 Beetle. The gearbox grinds and rumbles when running on in all gears. The mearest touch of the brakes or during retardation in the gears and there is no noise. I was told that it was possibly a bearing problem on the main shaft. I changed the oil and added a tube of Molybdenum disulphide (MoS2 or molydi). The noise went away for a few months. It's now back, so the bearing is probably about to fail. You need a new or reco gearbox. So do I.
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Find a good tranny shop and get it worked on in the off season. In the meen time keep an eye out for one that you can have built and the then it is a quike swap. then get the one rebuilt and have a spare.
shaky

Post by shaky »

Wow, I just sold a bus tranny for 40 quid ($70). I'm not sure whether they would let one on the plane out of the UK though, they're banned along with shampoo.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Odds are there is a bearing issue but don't rule out the fact that the motor mounts may be transferring noise thru the chassis, especially in a fiberglass buggy that acts like a speaker cone for amplifying noise.
ROSSDC

Post by ROSSDC »

I still have that 5-rib bus transmission in my buggy that makes noise in 4th gear. I was at the junk yard and found a 6-rib bus transmission with the side shift that was attached to a waterboxer engine. If I remember correctly I think the bell housings are different but can be swapped. Does anyone know if the nose cones can be switched to convert it to a front shift?
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Usally when hearing a noise when backing off the throttle in any gear means a pinion bearing is going bad. If you here a noise while in neutral with clutch out it is the mainshaft bearing. Like Jerry says with the solid mounts the noises gets amplified thru the buggy. A 4th gear only noise may be a miss match of gears or teeth missing on one of the 4th gear set, or even that the mainshaft bearing has welded its self to 4th gear thrust washer at one time and now has rough surface between the two parts causing the noise. As for swapping out a side shifter transmission it can be done using earlier 091 parts if shifter comes out of side of nose cone. Cannot be done on ones that have it coming out of side of gear box. A 5 rib gear box is an 002 model with a 4.86 ring&pinion. Parts are not changable with an 091 box.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970