Found Another Buggy Waiting for attention

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

Found Another Buggy Waiting for attention

Post by Gene-C »

found another one today. no one was home. I left a note on the door. I hate to see this happen to buggys :cry:
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Heres some better pics of the one I found a few weeks ago. Still trying to buy it but its tied up in an estate and no one know who really owns it
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Cool! Hope you get all you can stand!!:cool:
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

Well Scott, You're heading in the direction of turning into a "flock" owner. I've had that full blown condition with motorcycles. Once bitten, always infected. Keep that smile on your face!
JThw8

Post by JThw8 »

You certainly have a knack for it :) good finds. Someday I want to find a second to convert to an autocross only toy, I think it would have a few cool points over my current autocross toy (*cough*yugo*cough*)
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I just want to save them from a slow destruction. I try to pick them up ans then sell them to someone who cares, or restore them myself. Kinda got the "buggy bug"
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

[QUOTE="JThw8"] I think it would have a few cool points over my current autocross toy (*cough*yugo*cough*)[/QUOTE] :crazy: Autocross Yugo? I can't let that one slip by. Do you have any pictures? A friend of mine built a mudder out of a Yugo, throwing the body on an old CJ chassis. He drank a lot.
JThw8

Post by JThw8 »

[QUOTE="UncleBob"]:crazy: Autocross Yugo? I can't let that one slip by. Do you have any pictures? A friend of mine built a mudder out of a Yugo, throwing the body on an old CJ chassis. He drank a lot.[/QUOTE] Yugos are actually quite capable autocrossers, light as can be and the mechanicals are all the same as the Fiat 128/X1-9 so there are some hop up parts out there. Of course theres alot of stuff that isnt out there too so you have to be willing to improvise and fabricate. Its been a great low budget project, as it sits right now Im into it for a little over $1000 which includes the new @120hp fiat X1-9 engine I have sitting waiting to go in. I still run the stock 70hp right now and it has beaten its fair share of corvettes and wrx's on the autocross course.... A teaser photo of it as it sits right now. You can read all about the build up, modifications and other insanity (as well as see more photos) here http://www.misfittoysracing.com/Yugo/index.htm Image
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

That's pretty wild, Jim. 120 horsepower+Yugo=YuREALLYGo. Should be fun. Is it a bolt-in? Stock tranny? Nice job on the fender flares.
JThw8

Post by JThw8 »

Yeah, the Fiat X1-9 engine is the same motor so its pretty much a drop in. Have to change out the mounts and the oil pan (engine is canted at an angle in the X1-9) but nothing tragic. The motor I have waiting came out of a road race X and has 12:1 compression and fully worked head and camshaft. If all goes right I will be running it with a megasquirt programmable FI system. I have the MS and will reuse all the stock Yugo FI parts (which are nicely compatable with MS) I just need to find the time to get it all done. I also have to get the car painted, less for looks and more because I have people who want the flares so I need paint on it to help keep the molds from sticking :) The HP was an estimate from the previous owner so we will wait and see, but it should definitely be a bit healthier than the stock 70. Stock tranny bolts up and should hold the power no problem. The fastest NA drag Yugo in the country (Dave Benton aka Yugo Dave running 14's all motor) runs the stock trans without any issues. Thanks for the compliment on the flares. I keep getting asked where I bought a widebody kit for a Yugo..lol..I guess I will be the supplier if I ever make the molds. It was a fun project, but the photos do make them look better than they are, still need alot of finish work since I didnt make them from a mold. The molded ones I make off of these should have a much better surface to start with.