Manx II #1493 Build

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Gary1719 wrote:Louis are you stretching that into shape with the comealong?
Yes I am pulling it back the other way. You have to pull it farther than you want it due to spring back.

10ovr, I may try the torch if this doesn't work but I am already having visions of it catching fire. Image Image

--louis
10ovr

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by 10ovr »

Was looking at you steering shaft support,,I had that same little tab to clamp too,,Not very strong ,,I cut a steel tub in 1/2 and welded it on,, 100 times stronger and no movement at all,, Image
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

I was not to happy with the column mount either. That is a great idea.

--louis
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Finished up block sanding the rear fenders where the new sections were grafted in. I also finished up another small repair and mounted the rear tail lights and license plate light. I hope to get those off to the chromers soon. I still need to finish up the repairs where I widened the rear of the body and glass in the wire tubes since mine are missing and clean up the mounting flange but that is it for the shell. Still lots to do to the hood though so the itching is not over yet.

Fenders Done! The profile may not be exactly the same from side to side but as Bill Hines once said "You can only see one side of the car at a time." Or something to that effect.

Tail lights mounted. I am still not sure if I will run the solid red lenses of the Euro style. I do plan to convert them to LEDs though. I was thinking of adding a backup light w/ a red housing as a third brake light right above the license light but I may not.

Inner rear fender area. This section has a big hole where the original mounts were ripped out. I have some sturdier mounts in mind to help support this area. A friend of mine is going to make up a rear seat back and bottom which I will Velcro in place. That way they can be removed and a box can be installed for storage on longer trips. If I get adventuresome, or lose my mind, I may try to make the rear box out of fiberglass.

Boy I can't wait to see this all in one color. It almost looks like a real Manx body. I found a painter up in Tenn that will be doing the metal flake paint. Bass boat flakes, here I come.

Thanks,

--louis
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Oh yeah, forgot to post a pic of the front bulk head area I pulled back into shape

--louis
Gary1719

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by Gary1719 »

Nice pictures bulk head came right back Didn't it.  Gary
10ovr

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by 10ovr »

Looks good,,You should be done in a few weeksImage
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Thanks guys. And the fiber glassing can not get over soon enough but I doubt it will be a few weeks. Your's not assembled yet?

--louis
10ovr

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by 10ovr »

Watching paint cure and getting dame good at it,,,Image Bled the brakes and clutch yesterday and fixed a few leaks,,Today I well install motor,,,
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Picked up my pan and suspension parts from the sandblasters today. The pan will get a coating of rust bullet and then bed liner. The suspension parts will probably just get a coat of rattle can black.

--louis
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

I was home the last two days with a sinus infection, the second one this month. So I took the opportunity to paint the suspension parts and reinforced the tunnel access hole with 1/8" x 1" flat stock. Hopefully this weekend I can get the first coat of rust bullet on the pan. Oh, and the temp outside today is 112+ deg F.

In other news I am looking at FI for the engine instead of the 40 IDFs I had planned. (Mild 1835) If anyone has any input on running a buggy with FI I would like to hear it. I am thinking a Megasquirt brain box and one of the Mexico FI setups as see here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=519841

It looks like a nice clean simple setup, but in the end, price may be the deciding factor. I could sell the freshly rebuilt Italian IDFs to recoup some of the cost.  Still, I need to get this buggy finished some time this century. I am already getting grief from certain parties at the length of time this 3 month build is taking.  Image

It also looks like I will need to come up with another BJ beam as the one I sent to the sandblasters came back with several holes in it. Two steps forward, etc, etc.

Thanks,

--louis
Last edited by louisb on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary1719

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by Gary1719 »

So let me get this straight your home with a sinus infection and you thought hey lets go out and paint! and work on the buggy! My kinda  Buggy Guy have a beer on me! LOL
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Jeff Denham contacted me yesterday to let me know my heads are ready. This is the second set of heads done for me by Jeff and as always the work looks top notch. They are a small oval port with 40 x 35 valves. Engine will be an 1835 w/ a Webcam 163. Should be a nice little cruiser motor. Here are a couple of photos:

I can't say enough good things about Jeff Denham's work, if you need a set of heads I would highly recommend him.

Thanks,

--louis
Gary1719

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by Gary1719 »

What is the idea behind the welding on the outside of the cylinder head.
10ovr

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by 10ovr »

Gary1719 wrote:What is the idea behind the welding on the outside of the cylinder head.
And the spark plug holes ?????