As much as I hate to say it......

When it's just not buggy related.
90volts

Post by 90volts »

your membership had already bought you admittance- nothing changed except that the non members aren't allowed in anymore. and i don't know about your experience but mine is that i have recieved loads of info from this site but not only from members. there have been a good deal of non members with an awful lot of info. you've been here 'a long time in manxter land"? whats that? about 4 years now? way to go. some of these guys have been here for 40! if you figure you'll pay more cause its a real manx and all clubs have dues and benefits-well thats just the sort of mentality i want no part of- snobbish a$$holes- just like a lot of the trailer queen street rod guys and vette guys i've met. a photo gallery? we already had one free with the austrailian manx club (i wonder if they are going all member-only too). also free one at photobucket. and i could get a better pic into a post from them than i can with this gallery and its tiny little maximum size (which was just decreased by the way). new colors? new photo classifieds? and a quarter or the people and posting as a couple weeks before? if that? gonna hold your breath for the new store and pdf manxmania? i guess you've been getting your manxmania every 3 months now right?just like was said? c'mon- who's the fanboy now? i didn't join until probably looking at this site for 4 to 6 months. i was a non member for awhile first. i got a lot of good info from friendly people and figured i wanted to support that. i knew i wasn't getting a newsletter or going on runs or anything other than this site(which i already had as a non-member) and the feeling that i was supporting something worthwhile. i wish winnie would have come here before the change and then after so she had something to compare it with. theres more activity going on at those 'other' two sites now with alot more info flowing. and it sucks cause it used to be here that it happened! just pisses me off. and it's sad at the same time.
fubar

Post by fubar »

It is too bad that some of the suppliers that get some of the thousands of dollars spent on these glass cars ,(like : Empi, Berrien,Krylon, Aldolph Coors, etc ) cannot sponsor a link or something to offset the cost. So long as there are no pop ups. Advertizing makes the Earth rotate.
subimanx

Post by subimanx »

[QUOTE="90volts"] a photo gallery? we already had one free with the austrailian manx club (i wonder if they are going all member-only too). .[/QUOTE] No point whinging about it...I'm an Australian Manx Club member,costs me $50 a year for the privlige,but i think it's increasing due to increased costs etc...now i have to join the US of A club to veiw the forum...All up about $100 a year. Cheap hobby as far as that goes,but paying twice stirred me up a bit at first,but if you want it bad enough.....you pay.Nothing is free these days. Will be interesting to see how many Australian members who have contributed to these forums pay to join though...I seriously doubt they will want to "pay twice". The photo gallery you mention is for anybody who wants to post pictures and is linked to www.aussieveedubbers.com.au as well as the Manx Club.
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

[QUOTE="subimanx"]...but if you want it bad enough.....you pay.Nothing is free these days...[/QUOTE] Well, except for every other VW or Buggy internet site in the USA. :D
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="flaboyjim"]I think that the experts are left here - we wont have to get advise from the 12 year old kids anymore - you know what I mean.... I really did not like getting flamed by a kid that is the same age as my grandkids..[/QUOTE] TOO TRUE,,, :o
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="90volts"] gonna hold your breath for the new store and pdf manxmania? i guess you've been getting your manxmania every 3 months now right?just like was said? [/QUOTE] Mike. If I say that I am building a new store and have taken over the production of the newsletter to get it out on time, then take it as truth. The 12 hour days I've been doing all week to make it happen is evidence of that. Time for some more coffee. Jeff
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Don't you just FEEL the love in here.................. :crazy: :crazy:
90volts

Post by 90volts »

thanks to you then Jeff. I don't dispute that you're working your tail off.plus being the face of the change with so many people unhappy has got to be a huge amount of grief too. i feel bad for you having to take the brunt like that.But my main point was that i was in it for the friendly forum talk and just to support the F/G buggy scene in general- not for the material things. (but i would like an online store just the same :D )
Complex One

Post by Complex One »

It saddens me greatly to see all the rants and raves that have been posted by Members recently on this particular thread while at the same time I can also see everyones concerns and rights to express personal opionions but still saddens me nonetheless. It was also great to see that Winnie took the time to post comments about why these decissions were eventually made to change this forum from a public to private format. I also know that neither Bruce or Winnie usually have very much time if any to actually view or post to this forum themselves even thought it was initially started by them for the sole purpose of sharing useful information by everyone and which ultimately helps everyone. Just now it is only available to Paid Members like myself and others that are still posting here. Additionally, if any of you really knew just how much time it actually takes to build, periodically update operational features, and to maintain a forum such as this then you would also actually understand the amount of time that this takes. Forum Admin...keep up the great, extensive and very time consuming work. Job well done so far! Also, any time you update a site there will also be problems with programming, links - that don't always work, pic. uploads that just don't seem to happen and so forth. I'm sure that all this will be resolved and that Admin. is doing everything possible to make this happen for all of us so everyone be patient and hold your tempers. Winnie made an interesting comment about how many phone calls that they had received from Members also making comments about the forum and that they (Members) apparently preferred the closed forum over the public forum format which I am sure promoted Bruce's and Winnie's decission to move this way. I for one was certainly not one of those individuals but will still be maintaining my membership to this forum regardless as I have benefited greatly from everyones experiences and very helpful and freely given assistance over these past many years. I have hopefully contributed in return as much to others and will continue to do so when I feel that I have something more that is valuable to offer myself. I do however have a few suggestions for Admin and welcome others to respond as well but let's just keep it as productive as possible and not let it get off subject so we can all continue to benefit as much as possible. The Manx Club Forum (Paid Members Only) now has a (General Discussion) category which is where I am posting this response at the moment and which was the original area that was available to the general public in the first place. My suggestions are this: Although I personally like the "MEMBERS ONLY" aspect of this forum and the fact that now I will not be bothered as much by younger individuals just posting what ever they want or others attempting to promote themselves and services for nothing. I still would like to see an individual (Public - General Discussion) Section only return to this site. This should not take a lot of maintenance or time to add back and could be pretty easily added back to the bottom of the main page of this Forum and blocked outside of the Members Only Section. Make available this one (Public - General Discussion) Forum only with posting and viewing as before. No other options available other than to post Questions and Responses and occassional Pictures from other outside web hosts as before for purposes of showing what they mean for a particular question or response from either Non-Members or Paid Members if so desired. Then change the current and existing (General Discussion) for Members Only to (Members - General Discussion) leaving it in the Members Only area of this newly revised forum. In otherwords, leave ALL Members Forum Topics as they are now or Add new ones as they are deemed necessary but leave them ALL in the "Members Only" section and only available to those paid Members. Let the Non-Members still be able to post to the (Public - General Discussion) area and if Paid Members choose to participate then so be it. If not....that's OK as well. Dear Admin....if you don't want to lose participants in this Manx Club Site and you also want to increase Mambership then this, IMHO, will be a viable alternative to satisfying the mass majority for now anyway. Alternatively, you might also want to consider a possible limited GUEST BOOK access to the Members Only areas of this forum. In otherwords....design a temporary way (limited access) for Non-Members to view (Only) the Members portion of this forum but not be able respond or submit comment and or pictures without a valid and paid membership number. Once a Non-Member has then exceeded ones access privileges the next time they could be greeted with a simple but polite pop up window similar to the one we use to get where we had to enter our access code in order to even enter the Members forums for the first time but this time it could state something like: "You have now exceeded your Free Guest Pass Access Privileges to the Paid Members Forum. If you wish to keep viewing and or would like to begin posting to this Members Only Forum, please take a few moments and fill out the required information and submit your Membership Dues to the following address for Full Access Privileges. Thank You for your Continued Support in the Manx Club Forum. As was stated somewhere earlier in this thread and or in several previous and earlier posts when this was first presented about moving the Manx Club Forum to a Paid Members Only Forum, many current Club Members and participants of this forum actually became Members directly because of this forum and for no other reason than that! To not allow non-paid individuals at least a temporary limited access to the Members Only Forum for simple viewing only and or decission making as to if they would like to eventually become a more involved Paid Member and even more Importantly...Hopefully another valuable participant of this great forum is again, IMHO, committing eventual suicide. I obviously hope that I am completely wrong in my thinking on this but this is what it looks like to me from this end and as a participant of this forum for the past several years. I have greatly appreciated everyones input, true concerns for a fellow buggier and for all of the exceptional help that I have received from so many of you that it concerns me as to where this forum will be in the coming months and years. Like I said...I am not planning on dropping my membership or removing my participation from this site and only wish the best for everyone in all of this. This site and forum has always been my first and usually my last place that I have ever needed to accomplish anything concerning my builds and hopefully it will stay that way now and into the future. Sorry for the lengthy read but just had to state, as best as possible, my concerns and suggestions. Just my :2cents: worth.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I'd like to see the public forum reopened also, but just the way it was when there were 206 people on line at once. I think the club was trying their very best to respond to its members when they closed the Public Forum. However, I think the people who complanied were just a vocal minority. Sometimes, when you try to make everybody happy, you make nobody happy. I really can't see how someone thought they were justified in complaining, when the club had both a public forum and a members only forum. It was the best of both worlds. Frankly I'm going to dearly miss the messages from the excited 16 year olds asking the silly questions. I built my first Manx when I was 15 and my knowlege was absolutely zip. I'm also going to miss the messages from the non-member Dune Buggy Ph.D.s. For whatever reason they don't want to join the club, its their loss. However I still loved the amazing wealth of insights and opinions on my favorite subject, dune buggies, that was shared by everybody on the old forum everyday. Whatever happens I'll always be a Manx Club member and a member of the Bruce and Winnie Meyers fan club.
tgodber

Post by tgodber »

Members list still shows all who joined the public forums but many did not become full members. What is the actual membership number now? Maybe admin will update the membship list to reflect the actual paid members. As time allows of course.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

My my, what a tangled web we weave. First off, I will say that I regreted that posting from the minute I pressed send. I even put the diclaimer on the bottom that it should probably be deleted and mentioned that is how I felt at the time. I was away for the weekend and I was slighlty concerned how my words that were written in haste (and very off the cuff) would be interpreted in my absense. I will start off by saying that the posting could have crafted better without some of the more colorful adjectives used to slightly exagerate the Manx Clubs current state. I didn't set out to offend Winnie and Bruce although re-reading my posting a few days later, it can certain be construed that way. People that know me from online through the club, know that I have written many time that no matter what, I will support the club. Feel free to check my past postings. Again the post was written in haste, most likely in poor judgement and I will contact Winnie to appoligize, personally. Please keep in mind that I do still believe in what I was actually trying to say in the email. (again, without the adjectives) Baja Manxter (Bob)....calling someone a whining, sniveling malcotent is indeed name calling. If you had said that I was whining and sniveling about the issue, that would be a different story. But don't worry, I have thick skin and I have been called worse by better. The last time I heard a retired police officer talk about tanning their ass to another male, he sang YMCA for a living. (I reserve ass tanning, drinking beer and watching sunsets to a very select group of people, you haven't made the cut yet. Keep offending me though, maybe you'll get your chance!) Again, it should not have been written the way it was. The sentiments of the posters after me sum up how I feel about the board being privitized and how I will most likely continue to support the effort. I do believe that Winnie and Bruce have every right to do whatever they want with the club. (despite me thinking it is a lousy business decision.) I also appoligize to anyone that took offense to what I said, with regards to the issues, we can agree to disagree. Dave
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="90volts"]thanks to you then Jeff. I don't dispute that you're working your tail off.plus being the face of the change with so many people unhappy has got to be a huge amount of grief too. i feel bad for you having to take the brunt like that.But my main point was that i was in it for the friendly forum talk and just to support the F/G buggy scene in general- not for the material things. (but i would like an online store just the same :D )[/QUOTE] The percent of unhappy people has been very small in the big picture. You can't please everyone.
TMc2548

A small rant.

Post by TMc2548 »

All this bickering seems so petty. Is it possible to just drop the subject and get on with our lives. There has been a change in the boards and we should accept it and move on. It just seems that we're letting this affect us more than it should.
BrianK

Post by BrianK »

[QUOTE="Complex One"]As was stated somewhere earlier in this thread and or in several previous and earlier posts when this was first presented about moving the Manx Club Forum to a Paid Members Only Forum, many current Club Members and participants of this forum actually became Members directly because of this forum and for no other reason than that! [/QUOTE] I would like to reiterate this point. I am one of those people - I'm 100% positive I would not have joined without first seeing what it was I would be joining. I *really* think that these forums should at least be publicly viewable so that people can see what they are missing - especially when there are other forums from which they can get the same info without spending a dime. Why not have an advertizing banner? Most other forums do.. ? Are the classified private as well - even for viewing?