How rare is an SR?

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
90volts

How rare is an SR?

Post by 90volts »

I was reading a VWtrends from 2001 with an article about an SR. They said there were 300 made and there are 36 known to exist in the US? are they that rare? I seem to see a lot of them going up for sale in different states of finish. i wonder if there has ever been any thought given to a Siggy SR? I would love one!
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

Are SRs rare? Here in the Land of Oz, there is only one, mine, so yes, they are rare, here. In fact mine is the only one in the Southern Hemisphere and it will be the only right hand drive one in the world. Is that rare enough for you? Seriously. See http://www.manxsr.com for a lot of information. There are all sorts of rumours going around about the SR being returned, but they are exactly that, just rumours. Read the forum in the manxsr site to get some idea of what is or is not happening. Mine is about to be wired, so hopefully it won't be long before it is on the road.
subimanx

Post by subimanx »

Then will you sell it to me???
Don Giovanoni

SR Rare?

Post by Don Giovanoni »

They are all rare (Bruce intended them to be difficult to pirate) but there are a couple twists. The BF Meyers SR sold in limited quantities due to the business struggling at the time. After the business went under, the molds were sold and the SR was sold by the buyer. I believe the SR was offered by at least one more company. Most of the later versions used an external hinge on the doors; some used an outside latch. Check out http://www.manxsr.com for more details... Don P.S. Now my Siggy is done I am thinking of selling my very original BF Meyers SR, see my SR pics on this site.
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

Subimanx. After the long complex time consuming saga of me getting my SR on the road, the heartache, the brain strain, the assault on my wallet, the ups and downs, the little wins and disapointments and finally afer all of that, the elation of finishing it and driving it, you want to buy it? Yeah right!!! P.S. Yeah right, is the only example in the English language where a double afirmative makes a negative.
turbovair

Post by turbovair »

Hello all: If I can add to Don's evolution, from Bruce (BF Meyers Co), the entire works went to Karma Coachworks, then to Heartland Fibreglass in Bartlesville, Ok. From there everything went to Columbia, Md. I watched ads in the magazines for several months and then nothing. Someone who lives in Columbia and owns a Deserter GS said he never found anyone around the address in Columbia. Hope this helps. Steve Goodman manx clone w/turbo Corvair Manx member #299
subimanx

Post by subimanx »

[QUOTE="shaihulud"]Subimanx. After the long complex time consuming saga of me getting my SR on the road, the heartache, the brain strain, the assault on my wallet, the ups and downs, the little wins and disapointments and finally afer all of that, the elation of finishing it and driving it, you want to buy it? Yeah right!!! P.S. Yeah right, is the only example in the English language where a double afirmative makes a negative.[/QUOTE] HeHe...I plan on getting one shipped over in the next 2/3 years and doing a full rebuild/upgrade and rego...Hurry up so i can use yours for more inspiration......or you could just sell me yours!!!!
90volts

Post by 90volts »

wow. i had no idea! lots of cool info on them. thanks. now i know what to check for if i look at one. so what about a siggy SR? any interest?
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I think there would be a lot more interest if Bruce did some more Meyers Manx's.
JThw8

Post by JThw8 »

[QUOTE="90volts"]wow. i had no idea! lots of cool info on them. thanks. now i know what to check for if i look at one. so what about a siggy SR? any interest?[/QUOTE] Id be all over it if it there was a siggy SR. I had my shot about 4 years ago. Went scrounging Thing parts (my project du jour) at a local VW show and came across an SR for sale. It was a rat, but a complete rat. For $1500. I still kick myself for passing but the money just wasnt there at the time.
turbovair

Post by turbovair »

Hello all: There is at least one in the Denver area, NU-VINTAGE VW has had one for several years. Of course I don't have a phone number etc but if someone is interested I will find more info. It was the typical soft yellow color but don't know anything else about it. Steve Goodman manx clone w/turbo Corvair Denver, Co Manx #299
ManxRob

Post by ManxRob »

markmark

Post by markmark »

SR's are definetly rare here in Australia. Shaihulud's SR is the only one that I know of here.