Bolt Pattern Adaptor

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
dustygary

Bolt Pattern Adaptor

Post by dustygary »

I am looking for a high quality bolt pattern adaptor to go from a "5 on 205" to a "5 on 4.75"; as I am having a hard time finding a micro-stub disc brake kit that can custom drill a "5 on 4.75". Any product or vendor suggestions? I tried McKenzies and CNC, they said no go on the custom drill. Dusty
Complex One

Post by Complex One »

Dusty, http://www.socalautoparts.com will drill any bolt pattern that you might need and are very reasonable. I had them drill my drums from my Manxter 2+2 a couple of years ago and the pattern runs very true on them. If money is not an issue then try: http://www.airkewld.com or http://www.acindustries.com I will probably be going with airkewld myself when I upgrade to discs all around as those kits they offer maintain stock spindle height and stock bearings with no other modifications. All bolt patterns available from them. Hope this helps. I'm sure others may also have other suggstions as well.
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

[QUOTE="Complex One"]Dusty, www.socalautoparts.com will drill any bolt pattern that you might need and are very reasonable. I had them drill my drums from my Manxter 2+2 a couple of years ago and the pattern runs very true on them. [/QUOTE] I just want to provide a personal endorsement and some recent info regarding socal. I just (two weeks ago) bought rear drums drilled for Chevy pattern from them. Unfortunately they no longer have access to blank drums for the front, so they sold me a bolt-on disc kit (also Chevy pattern) which does not require changing the spindles. There is a bracket (for the calipers) that bolts to the backing plate holes in the spindles. Also, you don't have to change the brake lines on the front. I've had all of this installed (three days ago) and the only problem I had was I couldn't put backing plates (the plates were specific for discs) on the front. The brackets for the calipers interfere with the backing plates. No big deal for me since I don't go off-road. Although the socal rep didn't say this, I got the impression that once their supply of blank rear drums were gone, they may not be able to get them either. Might be wrong about that, but if you are thinking about getting drums drilled, you might not want to wait. Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

Dusty, My Micro Stubs are from CNC and they were able to drill them in the Porsche 5 x 130mm pattern with no problem. My fronts are also CNC which are in the 5 x 130mm pattern. Micro Stubs are made from a 5 bolt Chevy bearing housing and then adapters are made with the vw pattern, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to get the pattern you want.
dustygary

Post by dustygary »

[QUOTE="GotManx"]Dusty, My Micro Stubs are from CNC and they were able to drill them in the Porsche 5 x 130mm pattern with no problem. My fronts are also CNC which are in the 5 x 130mm pattern. Micro Stubs are made from a 5 bolt Chevy bearing housing and then adapters are made with the vw pattern, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to get the pattern you want.[/QUOTE] Jon, Based on your comment, I called CNC back and got a clarification. They are too busy to do a custom drill micro-stub set. However, If you look at the 643 kit, the five inner screws of the adaptor are the chevy bolt pattern! I don't know why they didn't just tell me that in the first place! I could not get an answer out of them as to wether a 5 on 4.75 could be custom drilled (by my machine shop) on the front 654 series hub. From the picture I cannot tell if the profile of the hub would allow for it. I believe that a Porsche 5 on 130mm converts to approximately 5.11". 4.75" is not to far from 5.11". So I may just have to "Buy-it and Try-it". Thanks for the help! Dusty
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

Dusty, You may want to check with McKenzies. They use to make their kit with the Chevy hub and then bolt on a VW adapter. It may be an easy fix for you to just not use the adapter.