Mel on the Malecon!

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Scott-Drolet

Mel on the Malecon!

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Hey Mel! Your comment about Baja got me looking through my old 35mm's to see what I had from back then. These two pictures are from that trip to San Felipe. I think it was '97ish? Anyway. The first one you're on the far right of the frame with your cousin (nephew?) I believe. (This was the fish taco place we decided wouldn't kill us because they had a hand printed sign that said "we wash hands", Which I think is the equivalent of an "A" restuarant rating in the States.) The second photo is you standing next to the Thing driven by . . . I can't remember his name, Gary, I think? . I know he was into racing VW's and had a shop by the Los Angeles International Airport. It used to drive Bruce and Winnie crazy that this guy in a Thing kept showing up on runs that were clearly (by club rules) limited to 'glass body buggies. But he was persistent and kept showing up anyway. After a while the guy was so friendly and helpful (and respectful, he always followed way behind the buggy pack:-), we sort of adopted him and didn't notice the Thing so much anymore. He disappeared a couple years later and I don't think anyone has seen him since. Mel on the Malecon Image Mel at Pete's Camp Image
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
http://www.ManxClub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SeaToSeaSafari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.BurroBuggies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Scott, was good to see those old snap shots. What a great bunch of guys they were on that trip too,,, everyone made us SO welcome. The guy with the thing is Gary Neese, we kept in contact for a few years after that trip, but kinda lost contact since. I remember the morning we set off from Petes camp on the first day, Bruce tried to get me into a buggy, but the only room was in Garys Thing,,, at first I was a little pissed off, because I wanted to ride in a Manx, but I needn't have worried because that thing rode like a Cadillac and kept up with the buggies,, what with Garys great hospitality,,, a huge box in the back filled with ice & beer,,, The Beach Boys on the stereo and driving off road in the Baja sunshine,, life just don't get much better!!!. I also noticed Karen in the pics, along with Tony,,,Stuart (riding shotgun in the thing) and the other two guys I remember, but forgot their names. If anyone happens to be reading this who knows of Gary Neese (Neese Bros Racing) from Torrance, please give him my best regards as I've not had any joy getting hold of him for the past few years. Gary got involved helping run the Baja Owners Club Of America around 2000, so I guess he was busy organizing trips and writing for their newsletter, which he seemed to do very well. Thanks for the memory Scott.
Manx#102

Post by Manx#102 »

Great pics and Baja memories Scott and Mel. Thanks for sharing.