Body Lift and Steering

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

Body Lift and Steering

Post by Gene-C »

Super beetles have a u-joint type steering shaft/column. Is the upper part of the super column shorter? I assume it has splines on the upper shaft also. On the regular beetle the lower end of the steering shaft is held in the center of the column by the steering box. Does the super column have a bearing, bushing or something to keep it centered? Are the splines on the regular beetle and the super steering box the same? What have others done? I want to keep the column in the stock location. Thanks
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Never mind. Got column and shaft from pull and save $18.00. :D
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="Yellermanx"]Super beetles have a u-joint type steering shaft/column. Is the upper part of the super column shorter? I assume it has splines on the upper shaft also. On the regular beetle the lower end of the steering shaft is held in the center of the column by the steering box. Does the super column have a bearing, bushing or something to keep it centered? Are the splines on the regular beetle and the super steering box the same? What have others done? I want to keep the column in the stock location. Thanks[/QUOTE] If someone knows the answer, I would like to know.. Cant have too much Input...
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Scott I bought a 72 super column and u-joint shaft today. The column is only about 18-20" long. It has a needle bearing in the bottom end to keep the shaft centered. The splines on it and the splines on the super steering box are slightly larger than the plain beetle. However, it's close enough to cinch down. I think I am going to drill the cinch bolt hole a little larger so the bolt will be tight against the flat on the box shaft as an added protection against it slipping. Won't have any mounting info for a while. I need to get my body back on and get the seats mounted first so I know where to put it. The seats are still a couple weeks out. Hope that all made sense. :roll: The end product will probably be a conglomeration of a few columns when done.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="Yellermanx"]Scott I bought a 72 super column and u-joint shaft today. The column is only about 18-20" long. It has a needle bearing in the bottom end to keep the shaft centered. The splines on it and the splines on the super steering box are slightly larger than the plain beetle. However, it's close enough to cinch down. I think I am going to drill the cinch bolt hole a little larger so the bolt will be tight against the flat on the box shaft as an added protection against it slipping. Won't have any mounting info for a while. I need to get my body back on and get the seats mounted first so I know where to put it. The seats are still a couple weeks out. Hope that all made sense. :roll: The end product will probably be a conglomeration of a few columns when done.[/QUOTE] Thanks Chuck, So your saying a super bug columb will work with some minor mods.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

you know with a body lift the angle of the steering wheel and the height will be Way off? at least with a 3'' lift. I am sure you know this, just wanted to make sure.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="seabeeBuggy"]you know with a body lift the angle of the steering wheel and the height will be Way off? at least with a 3'' lift. I am sure you know this, just wanted to make sure.[/QUOTE] The purpose of this thread is to solve that problem. Sorry I cut the end of the column off in the picture, but that is most of the column. Image
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

cut a new hole. glass over old ,or have a shop cut a nice billet aluminum to match the shape of the area where you steering goes through the dash and mount it to the dash with a support from behind with the new hole. .Will look great and be stronger and easier than what you have now. cost about 40$ for polished cut to shape plate of aluminium.
Dune-Buggy-Archives

Post by Dune-Buggy-Archives »

[QUOTE="Yellermanx"]The purpose of this thread is to solve that problem. Sorry I cut the end of the column off in the picture, but that is most of the column. [/QUOTE] Chuck, Sounds like another Tech article in the making. Do you mind if I copy some of your info and pics into a neat single tech page on the dune buggy archives site???? It would be great to build a Tech page on the lift kit and one on this column build that people could hit a quick link to without searching through all the posts fo the info. Here is what I was considering, but the ends are not VW and would need a bunch of work. A super joint sounds perfect!!! John Image
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="dunebuggyarchives"]Chuck, Sounds like another Tech article in the making. Do you mind if I copy some of your info and pics into a neat single tech page on the dune buggy archives site???? Image[/QUOTE] I'd be honored. Help yourself. Depending on which steering column you are using would dictate which shaft or combination you would use. I'm trying to use as much VW stuff as I can.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I used a U joint/shaft assy. from a KIA (there are a million of them in the junkyard) it fits the VW steering box pefectly. It was $10.00 at the "U Pull It".