Fuel cell update

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Olli

Fuel cell update. Now with pictures.

Post by Olli »

It's done! I was sent a few pictures and it looks great. It should ship today. Olli Image Image
subimanx

Post by subimanx »

What capacity(liters if possible) do you think it would hold??? Looks great !!!
Olli

Post by Olli »

The calculated volume in gallons is 13.3. Approx. 50 l. Olli
Olli

Post by Olli »

66 views and only one comment.(?) You guys don't like it???? Olli
fubar

Post by fubar »

Looks sweet!! Did they give you the DFX file? If so could you send it to me?
Complex One

Post by Complex One »

Olli, Tank looks increadible but are you absolutely certain this it is going to fit under the hood of a Manxter? I'm sure you measured a 100 times just like everything else on your project which by the way also looks great. Love the glassed in mirrors also. Your ride is going to be one fantastic buggy when completed and your work is second to none in my book. Sure wish I would have had that level of talent on mine but it is still so much fun to drive and enjoy just how I did it for now. Improvements always to follow as time and finances permit just like everyone else. :roll: Waiting for a return call from Winnie like Kathleen was waiting last week so we all know which way to proceed on availibility time frame thereof on the side-pods and transport back East. Thanks again for everything. Looking forward to meeting next summer sometime.
Olli

Post by Olli »

Jim ,if you look in the background in this picture you can see the fullscale mock-up that I had made. The dimensions were taken from it. On top of the mock-up you can just make out a triangular piece. That is/was a hood clearence gauge. Very cool that you guys are going for the pods. Olli Image
fubar

Post by fubar »

Having built many "crazy fuel cells" to fit max capacity in a tight spot, that is an exellent result. I love the mock up. Many paper dolls were built in America.
markmark

Post by markmark »

Are you going to sell these? If so how much?
Olli

Post by Olli »

MarkMark, This cell is for a Manxter. If someone is interested in having a cell made they can contact me. I only had a breif discussion with the fabricating company about making more. But since the design is in CAD and on file, more are just a phone call away. That is about as best as I can respond to your question right now. Olli
markmark

Post by markmark »

Thats cool. Thanks for that Olli Mark
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

Very, Very, Very NICE! I know that cost is no problem, however, the price tag is....
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Very nice. Great work as usual. The finish looks so "even". Is it powder coated or anodized? Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
Olli

Post by Olli »

Tom, It is neither. That finish is raw. But I am fairly sure that it was given a rub with an ultra-fine ScotchBrite and some WD. This place is very picky about how the finished product looks. Price. The price includes; transferring dimensions from my mock-up into CAD, a couple of revisions, fuel sender, flush aviation style filler, vent with rollover check, safety foam fill, and testing. $620. For some reference, another shop wanted $900-$1200. with NO accessories, and FuelSafe and ATL would have been $2500.-$3000.. Ofcourse, FuelSafe and ATL would have been with full bladders. The shop that I chose builds NHRA/IHRA certified cells and cells for the Marine industry. They were also very pleasant to deal with from the get-go. That means a lot to me. They also have a lot pf pride in what they build as I found out when I called there on Thursday. The receptionist recognized my name when I gave it to her. She then told me how "the guys" were all standing around my cell admiring what they had just built. Olli
fubar

Post by fubar »

It seems like the way to sell them economicly would be to have the shell punched or laser cut, formed, and then sell as a "water tank" kit. That way the end user is responsible for welding and pressure testing. This way the cost of liability goes away. Welding unfixtured aluminum is about $1 per inch at a shop. And if somebody decides to put fuel in it, that is their choice. The sheet metal work should not be more than $150 depending on the quantity that you order. If the design allowed for Cleeco holes it could be fully assembled , welded, and then the cleeco holes plugged. A prescision shop can punch or laser with + or - .003" and easily form metal to + or - .015". If they have a chromate line they could etch the formed parts and make the welding way easier.