manxter pix

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
manx1111pla

manxter pix

Post by manx1111pla »

Does anyone have any pix of there off road manxter 2+2, iv'e really been thinking about building one, is everyone happy with them and what if any problems have you come up against. Thanks, Dale
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

Here's mine. I love it.
manx1111pla

Post by manx1111pla »

Hi John, i was hoping you were going to post a pic of your car. thats the look i'm going for. i'v got some ? if you wouldn't mind such as what front beam are you using , it looks stock but i'm not sure, lift kit? rear suspension? shocks? it looks pretty high do you have any or to much body roll, is it easy to slide around corners, what motor is in it, etc. if it's easier you could e-mail me or we could talk on the phone. Thanks for your time
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

Most of the parts are aftermarket VW as I built my own chasis for the car. The front beam is stock width with 4" wider, 2 1/2" longer trailing arms. The rear has 3x3 trailing arms with an aftermarket torsion housing. I am using Fox shocks all the way around. The motor is a 2332cc VW and a 5 speed Vanagon trans. I'm happy with how everything works. Suspension works great off road and it drives nice on the street. The car slides well too.
90volts

Post by 90volts »

damn i wish we could get one of those legal here! :x
Olli

Post by Olli »

Got Manx, yours is my favorite off-road Manxter. 90Volts, Why do you say that a Manxter isn't legal for Pa.? There are a couple of Manxters in Pa that I know of. Olli
90volts

Post by 90volts »

its hard enough to get a buggy passed here let alone lifted like that.i don't think i could find a place to pass that as is. body closer to the tires and tucked in some maybe.
Olli

Post by Olli »

90volts, I understand now.... now back to GotManx's cool Manxter.... Olli
CoKev

Post by CoKev »

I admit I don't have any experience with DMV gestapo types, but couldn't you get it registered then put on the tall suspension and wide tires?? Just was wondering. A pain I know, but ya do what you have to do sometimes. Oh- GotManx, I drool everytime I see your awesome car. :clap:
markmark

Post by markmark »

That's an awesome buggy GotManx. Nice work:clap: It would be good if we could get the Manxter in Australia. It's near impossible to register new buggies on a shortened pan now (in most states).
Olli

Post by Olli »

MarkMark, The Manxter goes on a FULL length pan. Olli
Complex One

Post by Complex One »

Olli,
The Manxter goes on a FULL length pan.
Tell me that isn't so....I had to cut the body and side pods on my Manxter down 14.5" just to make it fit the chassi.....JUST KIDDING! So how is your project coming along? Fuel Cell looks really great sitting in the front of the body but what are the tabs for on either side by the way? :hello: Question: Now that you have flattened the dash surface with black paint on the top, which by the way also looks great and will certainly reduce the glare, how do you think it will stand up to cleaning without showing cloth wiping marks or keeping it looking like it is now untouched since painted? Nice concept though next to covering it with a vinyl or other non-shinny leather type material. I have usually found that when using a flat paint and then trying to clean it several times afterwards that it gets pretty tough to keep it as it is currently painted without some type of marks. Just don't ever clean it with any type of polish or it will shine right back up again. Even overspray from cleaning the the inside of the windshield could cause problems. Just curious as to your thoughts on this subject. Everything else with such increadible detail that you have put into your Manxter project goes without saying. Needless to say....that is going to be one very impressive ride when completed.
Gene-C

MORE pics of Jon's Manxter...

Post by Gene-C »

Image Image Image This is a VERY well thought-out car............... :rock:
Complex One

Post by Complex One »

I think that if I were Jon I would certainly be thinking pretty quickly and seriously about getting some type of viable skid plate on the bottom of that Manxter especially under the added oil capacity tank. Last I checked those rocks will win every time. :eek: Great Pics...Thanks for sharing.
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

Thanks everyone for your positive comments. That was the first trip out with the top on the car when Bill took those pictures. When you have a top that opens, you also have to close it... oops.