Cracked frame head...

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Vincent - it gives me shivers that you were driving around on your long trips (especially the pot holes in New York City! That can be like driving off-road.) with a frame that was that rusty. It just shows the margin of error that is built into the design of the Bug in the 1st place. I am glad you are fixing it before something bad happened. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

I have to agree Tom, I must have been blessed by the bubby gods or something! Seriously, it was the noise that brought this issue to light. Whenever I would brake hard I could hear the whole front-end crack and pop! On the driving conditions, Although NY was rough, Quebec rivals with the best of them rough places! Perhaps when we're back and running we can join the power Tour and deserve bragging rights... Damm winter is long! Attached a few more progress pictures. Today was a bad day for me with a migrane... The framehead should be here next weekend!
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
vincent9993

Head replaced!

Post by vincent9993 »

Replaced the head this week-end. Next week-end, por-15 time! Enjoy my picture progress. Image Image Image Image
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Rest of my pics Image Image Image Image
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
markmark

Post by markmark »

That looks much better:clap: well done.
fubar

Post by fubar »

That looks way better.
ROSSDC

Post by ROSSDC »

[font=Verdana]Thanks for the pictures, it is encouraging to see your progress and makes me want to get out to the shop. If there are areas you can't get at to clean up the rust, I have found that Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer works well. It wipes on as a milk like consistence and then turns back when it contacts the rust and neutralizes it so it can't spread.
markmark

Post by markmark »

Good idea. I might pour a bottle of fishoilene down the tunnel of my new buggy. It might stink for a while but it will sure prevent a lot of rusting.
desbuggy

Post by desbuggy »

Maybe you could spray it in the tunnel with a garden sprayer wand.
markmark

Post by markmark »

That's a good idea. I'll try that out.:cool: