Blue

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Gary1719

wiring

Post by Gary1719 »

Tom how did the wiring work for you over all. I was checking out the web page you showed for them. They look pretty complete and the plug in concept looks nice. was it easy enough to adapt for vw use. Gary
Gary1719

pictures

Post by Gary1719 »

Tom have you ever post any other pictures when you first started on this? Gary
Tominator

Post by Tominator »

[QUOTE="gary1719"]Tom have you ever post any other pictures when you first started on this? Gary[/QUOTE] Gary I have quite a few fotos but never posted any to the manx site till the buggy was half way done which is about when I first found the MANX web site. Here are a few from the way back machine . http://www.meyersmanx.com/forums/showth ... #post20943 http://www.meyersmanx.com/forums/showth ... #post20912 http://www.meyersmanx.com/forums/showth ... #post20613 Tom
Gary1719

thanks

Post by Gary1719 »

Thanks Mr peabody! get it! remember that cartoon.
Gary1719

Pans

Post by Gary1719 »

Okay if i get this you remove the pan material were the yellow lines are? i used to be certified in tig welding with the airforce years ago. i still can't tell were the hell you joined the pans at, nice job. The way you did it is why i like the berrien floor it is made to look factory done one piece no seams.
Tominator

Post by Tominator »

[QUOTE="gary1719"]Tom how did the wiring work for you over all. I was checking out the web page you showed for them. They look pretty complete and the plug in concept looks nice. was it easy enough to adapt for vw use. Gary[/QUOTE] Gary Sorry I didn't get back to you on this - didn't see it till just now. I think if you get a wiring kit from : http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/vw.html it will just fall into place. I got a wiring kit from American Autowire before I knew about Watsons and it was made more for Ford - Chevy - Etc. The kits available at Watsons are made specifically for VW's. Then again - if you are building a very basic 1960's type buggy you could get : http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... C10%2D5720 This harness would work just as well and be much less expensive
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

The Watson's kit will "not just fall in place" if you use VW switches & steering column. They show how to wire VW lights but do not deal with other VW stuff. I am in the process of installing my 2nd Watson's kit. We put one in the Manxter 4 years ago and I am doing my car now. It is a nice fuse block with good wires, which is why I am using it again. They are local to us, so I am going to contact them about more instructions on how to use all the VW parts. After all, you can't buy a Chevy steering column with turn signals, wiper switch, high/low beam, ignition switch & locking steering. Plus the VW column will hook up to the steering box with no adaptors! Now if only VW made a tilt column for Bugs back in the day, I would be all set. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
Tominator

Post by Tominator »

[QUOTE="Tom Kathleen"]The Watson's kit will "not just fall in place" if you use VW switches & steering column. They show how to wire VW lights but do not deal with other VW stuff. I am in the process of installing my 2nd Watson's kit. We put one in the Manxter 4 years ago and I am doing my car now. It is a nice fuse block with good wires, which is why I am using it again. They are local to us, so I am going to contact them about more instructions on how to use all the VW parts. After all, you can't buy a Chevy steering column with turn signals, wiper switch, high/low beam, ignition switch & locking steering. Plus the VW column will hook up to the steering box with no adaptors! Now if only VW made a tilt column for Bugs back in the day, I would be all set. Tom[/QUOTE] Tom + Kathleen Thank you for the heads up on the Watson's kit - I stand corrected -but now I'm really confused because the exact words in their harness description are : NOT included are the headlight, dimmer or ignition switches so that you may retain your original VW switches if so desired. I'll have to give them a call and find out what the low down is as I was really hoping to use one of their kits for the next buggy. Perhaps they have just come out with a new Kit .
Gary1719

Tom & tominator quick question

Post by Gary1719 »

Tom did you tell me you ran the hot rod power tour? Okay since i have not brought a steering column or anything much else. which is the best road to look at. i want a tilt column if possible. i would like a spun aluminum or chrome shaft. just to dress it up.or a standard vw column with the sort of set up tomminator is using.Or does it matter when you go and figure out what kind of fuse panel to use how it all is going to hook up. I dont know anthing about how the vw wiring hooks up.So i guess what i am asking if i buy one company's fuse panel over another is it going to matter . Is it going to be hard to hook up . I don't know but you guy's do .Gary
Gary1719

turn signal pack

Post by Gary1719 »

Tominator did you end up using a turn signal pack from watson's?
Tominator

Post by Tominator »

[QUOTE="gary1719"]Tominator did you end up using a turn signal pack from watson's?[/QUOTE] Yes but only because my rear blinkers work off the same filament as the brake lights.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

If you have a Bentley manual with the nice color VW wiring diagram, and look carefully at the Watson's diagram, you can figure out how to do the combination with all the VW switches & relays. I just wish they put more effort into their diagram so I would't have to. They are the wiring experts, I am not. I have no problem with someone wanting to use a "Chevy" tilt column in a VW. They look very nice polished or chrome plated. The wiring is a "snap". Ollie has adapted one and I saw another Manxter with one. I just think the VW ('72 and up) makes for a neater set-up. You don't have to have a separate high/low dimmer switch, a separate wiper switch, a separate ignition switch and you get the extra security of a locking steering column. My car had a '71 VW column, so I am trying to get rid of all those "separate" switches. By the way, it is almost impossible to get a new wiper switch for the '72 & '73 & '74 - up column, so if you go this way try to get one with a good used switch, or you will be hunting for quite a while to find a replacement. New turn signal switches are still available. Yes we did take Kathleen's Manxter on the Power Tour and othe long trips. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
Gary1719

power tour

Post by Gary1719 »

They are going to run the Power tour thru springfield ill again this year. If you run it let me know i will look you up in springfield. gary1719#
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I really like the basic good looks of the early Beetle steering column with 67 Beetle turnsignal switch that contains the dimmer switch in the turnsignal lever. Image
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Gary - We are not planning on doing the Power Tour this year. We are hoping to drive to one of the west coast Manx Club events. We are just waiting to see this years schedule. Depending on what time of year and where the event is, we could drive through your town. If it is early or late in the season, we would want to travel south, if it is in the summer, futher north may be better. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT