Blue

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Gary1719

New Manx 59

Post by Gary1719 »

How do the high and low beam's work off the turn signal lever?
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

The switch hooks up to a (VW) relay. When you move the stalk front to back (instead of up & down the column) is operates a second switch in the stalk. The '72 up columns also have a 2nd stalk, that can operate 2 speed wipers and a pnematic windshield washer system. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

There is a very inconspicuous button on the backside of the turnsignal lever that has a momentary contact and as Tom said, it operates a headlight relay. Press the button once the high beams come on press it again and the low beams come on.
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

Did anyone mention that this high/low beam turn signal switch is only on the '66 & '67 turn signal units? Here's a picture from SoCal Imports... Image
Tominator

Turn Signal / High - Low Beam

Post by Tominator »

Allen Thank you for the year + part # info which will be useful to anyone looking for this type of system . I had no idea what year car it was off -just that I wanted that type of dimmer switch rather than a foot switch on the floor. Tom
Gary1719

Do i get it!

Post by Gary1719 »

Okay if i understand you guy's 66-67 are the only one's that have the dimmer on the column?. then what did all the others use a foot switch? and the 72 models have the wiper switch on the column also.Sooooo is there a certain year that has dimmer switch and wiper switch on the column together?
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

[QUOTE="gary1719"]Okay if i understand you guy's 66-67 are the only one's that have the dimmer on the column?. then what did all the others use a foot switch? and the 72 models have the wiper switch on the column also.Sooooo is there a certain year that has dimmer switch and wiper switch on the column together?[/QUOTE] The columns with the ignition switch in the column also have the dimmer and possibly the wiper switch. I'm not an expert on VW steering column ID but I do know the column in my 69 Bug has the headlight dimmer, ignition switch and turn signal switch in the column. The wipers are on the dash.
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

Here is what So Cal Imports has to say... Image and Image
Gary1719

Thanks

Post by Gary1719 »

Thanks for the help guy's.
Tominator

Exhaust System

Post by Tominator »

Pulled the buggy out of hibernation today for an appointment with the header wizard , Chris Foley at : http://www.tangerineracing.com/Super_Header.htm . He'll be fabricating an exhaust system for a Type IV motor being built this winter at : http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/vw.htm jboyton - I think your buggy could benefit from one of these systems. Image Image
Mvovr

Post by Mvovr »

Man I love this buggy!!! Your an inspiration !!!!
Tominator

Post by Tominator »

Mvovr I'm hoping to bring the buggy down to visit friends in the Naples / FT. Myers area this summer - lets do a cruise. Took it to have the exhaust system trial fitted this morning. The outlet will be trimmed about three inches back at a 30 degree angle. Below are some shots. Image Image Image
Mvovr

Post by Mvovr »

That would be great!!! Just let me know when and I will be sure to have the buggy ready. We have local cruses around town 5 nights of the week. It will be a blast!! Dave
dwmmatt23

Post by dwmmatt23 »

man that looks awesome, very clean
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

That is one of the cleanest builds I have seen Really Nice job!! The first scratch is going to be painfull on that beauty