VDO Speedometer

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
david-glenn

VDO Speedometer

Post by david-glenn »

Hello all, does anyone have a good source for a VDO mechanical speedometer, 3-3/8-3-1/2 diameter, 120 MPH, mechanical odometer. (speedo cable driven) Mine is fried and all i can find online are the newer electronic ones with LCD odometer. or, does anyone know a good speedometer repair shop in the Southwest that could repair a VDO mechanical speedometer cheaper than purchasing new? I can get a cheapo model ordered from the local Checker Auto for 60 dollars but wanted to keep all the gauges the same.
fubar

Post by fubar »

I had my vdo rebuilt locally for under $60. (it had siezed and was snapping cables) He set it for my tire diameter and reset the odometer. He also repainted the needle and bezel. I know it is not local for you, but the post office goes there. Portland Speedometer Inc. 503-653-5548
david-glenn

Post by david-glenn »

perfect! Thanks Fubar! dave
fubar

Post by fubar »

The guy seemed fair , I looked at the reciept and he quoted me $60 and reduced it to $40 because he got sick and it took another week to get done. I still would have been happy with $60 so I gave him one of my metal birds I make. I have to qualify that my speedo sat out in the weather for about 30 years and it was pretty crusty. And no longer available in that size. The photo was prior to the overhaul. ..Image
david-glenn

Post by david-glenn »

thanks again. do how do you insert a picture into the message. I tried pasting a picture in but just got a line of symbols. I tried to attach but my pic was too large. your picture inserted is a big picture and just wondering how you do that. d
fubar

Post by fubar »

I use www.photbucket.com and upload to their sight, the cut and paste the URL into the "insertimage" icon on the reply to thread setting. I still have not figured out how to resize the photos so that they fit the screen????????????????? I will have to get the 10 year old kid next door to show me I guess. When I grew up all we had was tv tennis, I missed the electronic revolution.
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

Fubar, If you have a PC (not a MAC), look around for a program that might have been bundled on your PC when you bought it. The program is called "Microsoft PictureIt!". It's on almost all PC's (one of those "we can't sell it, so let's give it away"). Do "START -> ALL PROGRAMS", then see what is there. That program will let you resize pictures and it's pretty easy to use. When resizing pictures, it's the "HORIZONTAL dimension" that's important, make it about 6-7 inches or around 800 pixels and then save it, upload it to Photobucket and then post the picture (and see how it looks).
fubar

Post by fubar »

I looked for the photoshop, but only found some movie making program. I did manage to make a slide show if anybody wants to watch it. Most of the pictures are from Winchester Bay Oregon dunes, stayed in a cabin at Discovery point. I will have to ask my compu-geek about some editing software. The slideshow was supposed to have music, but like I say I am electronicly retarded.Winchester Bay Oregon 2006