Flat Towing Questions

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
rzeller

Flat Towing Questions

Post by rzeller »

[font=Microsoft Sans Serif]There have been many times that I would have liked to tow my buggy to the in-laws (200 miles - one direction) but have been afraid of doing damage to it or myself. I have the standard tow bar that attaches to the front beam (I would have to put safety chains on it). I was wondering what kind of issues I might be faced with if I decided to try the towing trick. Some concerns: transmission issues related to towing a VW-base buggy that distance (excluding leaving the transmission in gear), the stress from pulling/twisting on the front beam (I don't have any additional bracing on the front beam) that is only connected to the frame by four bolts, what is a safe speed to pull the buggy (speed limits range from 35 - 70 mph), and all those items I haven't thought of :confused: I am aware that I can't back up with a vehicle on a tow bar, but what about turning too sharply? How can I tell if the buggy is "tracking" straight? [font=Microsoft Sans Serif] [font=Microsoft Sans Serif]Thanks for any insight you might be able to lend me. [font=Microsoft Sans Serif] [font=Microsoft Sans Serif]Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
joemama

flat towing

Post by joemama »

I have flat towed my clone on several occasions without any problems, Longest trip flat towing was years ago, from southern california, to Florence, Oregon, on that trip it rained non stop, and we had to stop and borrow a drill to drill drain holes in the pan, as we had taken great steps to seal things, and had a couple of inches of water slosh around, other than that, it was trouble free, even though our tow vehicle was a 4 cylinder Ford Courier. More recently, towed our current buggy from the L. A. area, to Toulomne Meadows, in Yosemite, up Tioga Pass, 11,000 foot altitude, behind our 30 foot motorhome, no problems. A few times have towed it 100 miles or so, to off road areas for day outings, never a problem. Make sure you add safety chains or cables to both ends of the tow bar, something as a safety around the beam, make sure parking brake is off, and shifter in neutral ( I check this at every stop, in case some joker messes with it), I have a flat four pig tail wired directly into the buggies wiring, and dont worry if the parking lites and front turn signals light up when you hit the brakes, as you cant see this from behind the buggy. Any wear on suspension, steering, or bearings, is minimal, no more than if you had driven that distance. I have never had a problem with the buggy not tracking, it has always just followed us faithfully. I do have a back up camera on the motorhome, that I can turn on at any time, and I can see and hear the buggy, gives me peace of mind. I say go for it, as it will increase the enjoyment you get out of your buggy, and you will be surprised how easy it tows.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Bud, I say go for it too,, been towing my buggy this way for years without any problems. However I picked up a VW beetle once for a friend (on the towing frame) and the front wheel came off whilst doing about 50 MPH :eek: it was very late at night on an empty road,, I saw the wheel overtake me and bounce about 6' in the air, then rolled into a wooded area. I stopped, but we couldn't find the wheel, so we continued our journey with only one front wheel :crazy: all I could see in the rear veiw mirror were sparks flying off the front drum. The crazy thing was I drove even faster towing 3 wheels & dragging one to get back to my buddies place before any police saw us,, we made it home OK, and the marks in the road can be seen to this day :rock: as for the brake drum, that was flat on the bottom :D
tgodber

Post by tgodber »

I have towed mine at 60 mph with no problems. Make sure you have lights, safety chain and secure attachment to front beam and go for it. What could possibly happen? OK, don't answer that. Seriously, I hardly knew it was behind me.
Oil_Eater

Post by Oil_Eater »

I've towed mine with my Honda Civic Hybrid (That's not even rated as a tow vehicle as far as Honda is concerned, but shares the same body and underpinnings as a standard Civic. No issues so far, but haven't tried it on the highway yet. It does tow well. Jay
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I've towed the Manx with a tow bar across the Sierras numerous times and never had any problems. One time I towed a 51 split window baja bug behind my Manx from Del Rio, TX to McLean, VA. The Manx only had a 50hp 1300 engine at the time. Image
90volts

Post by 90volts »

i tow mine to the pine barrens an hour away, and to the outer banks which is 7 to 8 hours away. no issues. just akesure you have the safety chains on- 2 of them, one from right to left and one left to right. a lock for the lever on the bar for some extra piece of mind, and think ahead when pulling into places. like how you will be able to pull straight out. i make sure the wheels are tight, steering is loose, car in neutral and go. i'll average 75to 80 on the highway. smooth sailing. the only issue i have encountered is driving through the rain. i had no top and the steering kind of kinked up for some reason? nothing major. could always pull the steering for the trip as well. i sure wish someone made the covers for a buggy like the jeep ones that snap on and cover the whole thing tight for transport. oh, make sure the tires are aired up too. help you on the gas mileage and make a smoother ride. air them down when you get there. Image
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Thanks for the encouragement. Now I just have to get my tow bar setup with safety chains or cable. Thanks again, Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I have been flat towing for decades with no problems. No tongue weight so I have towed with small to large vehicles with out effort. I have towed acrossed a few states at a time. So don't think twice What I have noticed is that I have gone through tires a heck of a lot faster and when you get back check eveything on your buggy to make sure everthing is tight.Since this buggies loosen up with vibration, a good inspection is always a wise idea before and after. I have found a few times where I got things just in time Gene C #729