Tow'd IRS?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Vealmonkey

Tow'd IRS?

Post by Vealmonkey »

Can you change a Tow'd to IRS and how hard is it? Would it be just cutting up an IRS pan like the swingaxle pan and bolting in or is it more involved? I need to get a title for my buggy and I ran across a deal on a 68 bug. Or would it be easier just to leave it as it is and keep trying to find a title?
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

68 was the last(and best) of the swingaxles. If you want IRS you'll need 69 or later. Installation of an IRS suspension in a Towd is as easy as a swingaxle: cut the rear torsion housing off the donor pan and attach it all to the Towd frame with the shock bolts and U-bolts. If you're going to use it off-road you'll need to beef up the IRS semi-trailing arms. If you can find a titled/registered bug cheap, that would definitely be the easiest way to get the Towd registered, especially in a state that's made special construction vehicles a nightmare to register, like here in California. One problem with getting a Tow'd registered is that when the body is installed, it covers up the VW chassis serial numbers. You have to find somebody at the DMV willing to crawl under the car and use an inspection mirror to read the numbers.
dennis-and-cathy

irs

Post by dennis-and-cathy »

True about 68 being the last of the swing axles but that applies to ones imported to the US, German and Mexico built swing axles for a longer time, once in awhile you will run across one that was brought back from overseas, buy it with out looking underneath, thinging it was irs and get it home and find out its a swing and also has a single master cylinder. Original #'s and its a 69, :D funny thing I now look under the rear end before I comitt to buy anyone looking for a long swing axle :x
unclejtl

Post by unclejtl »

I purchased a 1968 bug and it's IRS. must be a very late one. the vin verifies it.
MojaveMel

68 with IRS

Post by MojaveMel »

68 was a transition year with irs first put in the 68 autostick transmissions. I'd suspect that your 68 was originally an autostick.
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

If you are going to change over to a IRS you may concider a custom torsion. That way you know you have a good solid and rust free unit.
Vealmonkey

Post by Vealmonkey »

Where would I find out more info on a custom torsion?
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[left][font=Tahoma]Custom Torsion Housing[/left] [left]Image [font=Tahoma]The custom torsion housing are precision jig fabricated to insure straightness. The torsion housing install kit will give you all the right pieces to install the custom torsion housing like they do at the factory [/left] http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/sandrail/buggysrframe1.htm I think its actually from the Bugpack catalog. If you get one make sure the trailing arm brackets are jig welded. Also, there aren't any frame horns so the transmission would have to be supported from above. With the Tow'ds steel tube frame design, that could be done pretty effectively.
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Get ahold of Berrian buggies they are now offering them in there frames for there buggies. http://www.berrienbuggy.com/
Gene-C

Irs

Post by Gene-C »

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I have a 68' pan with an IRS tranny and it was an auto stick car, and lo and behold my clutch cable kept wearing out. It appears there is no tube for the clutch cable, in the tunnel, and mine kept rubbing on the throttle and gas line tube support, fraying the cable away, and sawing into the support, had to cut a hole in the bottom of the tunnel and clean and fix things up to solve the problem[/FONT].
monocoque

Swing to IRS conversion

Post by monocoque »

I am not sure about this but isn't the torsion assembly a larger diameter on the IRS vs the Swing axle? My brothers Towd had an IRS assembly and the builder "modified" the lower bracket that the torsion rests in order to seat the IRS torsion. My Towd has the Swing axle underneath it and it bolted up correctly. You will also have to change the upper bracket that catches the shock tower. This is a simple flat bracket that is welded to the tubular frame and then hangs down and meets the shock upper shock mount. The best way to set up the Torsion assembly would be to put in your shifter, the shift rod and mount up your engine to the tranny. Reason being is there is very limited room behind a doghouse shroud and the back of the body. Yo u need to make sure and have the clearance there. Once mocked up, fabricate and or align the tabs for the upper shock mounts. These are DEFINITELY a different length and location on the frame. Re the IRS, I had a 68 Swing axle bug with 4 lug drums on it. It was a standard beetle (no chrome, no trim, no fabric headliner and a 2 spoked steering wheel with a bus horn button) out of Canada. I still remember the VIN number as it was very unique. The car was sadly so rotten that it had little to offer but its running gear.