Manxter Insurance

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
monocoque

Manxter Insurance

Post by monocoque »

Hi all, I currently have my Manxter and my monocoque insured only for liability. I know that is crazy but I have not been able to find anyone to insure either of them. I currently have them through Progressive and it is reasonable (obviously based on the "age" of the vehicles. Of course the problem is replacement and/or repair in case of any type infraction. Who are you using for insurance and how did you get your insuance (agreed value, receipts, comparable cars online etc?) The problem with the monocoque is that it is not replaceable nor is it something that can be easily repaired or compared against for reference. I tried to get it appraised but no one around me is interested in apprasing it since it is a dune buggy regardless of heritage etc. 2nd question> How are you handling seatbelts? My set up is bad at best based on original builders ideas. What type of belts are you using, how are you mounting them etc. Thanks Chris
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

I've got both of my buggies insured through Auto Club. I have liability and comprehensive coverage but not collision. I figure if I wreck them, I'll pay for them. I have an agreed value on the Classic Manx and actual cash value on the Manxter. I figure on the Manxter I have enough receipts and there are other Manxters out there that I can prove most of its value. The Auto Club also has pictures of the cars on record so there is no dispute to what they are. Since I have all of my cars with them, and there are a few, the premiums are very reasonable. The Manx is around $260 a year and the Manxter is $400. For seat belts, I made a bar that runs behind the seats and I am using a four point off road belt.
Old-Towd

Post by Old-Towd »

Man Ins. is a pain, a Buggy buddy told me he found Buggy Ins. through AAA for about $90 a year no body coverage so I needed Baja Bug Ins. and asked how much they ( AAA ) told me $290 a year no body coverage then I asked about my Buggy and they said I can't get Med. coverage on the Buggy thats not good, I guess I need to ask someone els at AAA. Jay
Jay - We Sacrifice Quality So You Can Save
1969 Sand Rover T pickup
1962 Baja / 1986 CT110 Honda Trailbike
1973 Thing / Yorba Linda,Ca.
MC 2693, RBC, DSB, SoCalBajas, hondatrailcts, BurroBuggies
monocoque

Auto club

Post by monocoque »

Hey Jon. Thanks for the insurance answer.I belong to AAA so I am filling out a request for quotes from them. I may have to consider joining AUto club if they will quote competitively. I just read your email about mini buggy bodies. I have 2 original bodies but have not gotten around to making chassis or molds of the bod. Too many things going on with too little time. Chris
manxter26

Post by manxter26 »

Chris, I've got mine with State Farm. On my Manx, its a stated value and I had to take the car down so that they could take pictures. The only restrictions are that they don't want it to be a daily driver but I don't believe there are any limits on mileage. This is Full Coverage, towing, comp, collision, etc. When we were at Lone Pine a few years ago, and we broke an axle on the trail, we called a tow truck and had a $570.00 tow bill. When I got back, I turned it in to my agent, explaining to her that I was probably on a road that I shouldn't have been on, but was near a maintained road. I was just hoping to get something out of them. A few weeks later, a check for the full amount arrives in the mail. That's probably one they shouldn't have paid and I wouldn't have complained. Anyway, I have a $12,500 stated value that costs me $10.88 a month. I do have my home, my vehicles, and life insurance with State Farm. I know different areas have different rates, but you might give them a call. I don't remember if they called it a "Collector Car Policy" or something similar. Good Luck
monocoque

State Farm

Post by monocoque »

Stae Farm would not write coverage for me as they are not VW VIN cars. The monocque has an odd ball VIN..I assume from the engine number as it correlates to an old 36HP engine. The Manxter has a SPCN from Arizona...not a VW VIN If the title said VW as the manufacturer, they would but both of my titles say MYM....Meyers Manx...They actually had a code for Meyers Manxes here in South Carolina. Cool...but sucky for me! Still looking for ins. Chris