new old question ,store items

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
tat99

new old question ,store items

Post by tat99 »

how can you tell the difference from an original licence plate frame and the reproduction frames that the store has been selling until recently? not sure if mine are original or not i ordered a new front bumper for my manx to replace the original from 68 and found that it is not exactly the same not as wide by about an inch and tubes are bent a little different. so mounts had to be moved. they look almost identical but was not a bolt on swap
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Easiest way to tell original frames from repro ones is by the emblem image. On the originals, the emblem is raised in relief in metal. On the repros, the emblem is printed. I believe the new bumpers are narrower so a standard VW towbar can used without having to unbolt the bumper first. If you still have your original bumper, I'd be interested in it.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Check if it says ''Made In China'' on the back :eek: Only kidding :D Years ago I bought some parts for an old Harley expecting them to be made in USA,,, not a chance :crazy:
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Original license plate frames have four mounting holes if I remember correctly, repros only have two. I think the bumpers are narrower to accomodate propriartary towing 'A' frames.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
tat99

Post by tat99 »

thanks for your help , both solved
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Here's a gennie one on eBay at the moment... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Myers-Ma ... dZViewItem Note the four holes.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
smanx57

Post by smanx57 »

Four mounting holes, the two on the bottom have tabs.