Engine Builder

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
gary dam

Engine Builder

Post by gary dam »

How did you guys pick out an engine builder? That is if you didn't build your own engine. Thanks Gary and Annie
gregr

Post by gregr »

Gary, I just asked around. There's one in Garland to stay FAR AWAY FROM... I'll leave it at that. Otherwise, the two that kept coming up for VW engines in the Dallas Area were Doug at Qualitat and David O. David built mine (1776, plus he was closer) and I couldn't be happier.
GregR
markmark

Post by markmark »

I have just built my own. It was my first attempt and there was no problems. If you have a good understanding of how it works, the tools and somewhere to do it, I would recommend that you have a go yourself. VW motors are quite simple.
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

I built my own stocker, but when I want to upgrade to a high performance engine, I'm probably going to go with something from these guys: http://www.cbperformance.com/turnkeys.asp
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Ask your local buggy enthusiasts and shops for recommendations. When you look in magazines like Hot VW's, there are a ton of builders. Ask about them. Some are good, and some are not. For example, Gex seems to have good prices, but I've heard many horror stories about quality, shipping and warranty problems. My suggestion would be to try and find a builder that people trust within 1 or 2 hour's drive from you and have them build it. That way you can have face to face discussions with them in exactly what you want, and if anything happens under the warranty, you can bring it to them (shipping a motor half way accross the Country is a hassle and very expensive!).