Could it be....

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Pete, Some would say that a non-Manx body is worth MORE than an authentic one because it gives you a free ticket to do whatever you like with it. Not that you can't chop up an authentic Manx, it's just that you don't have to hear about it if it's a copy! Lee
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Still a nice looking kit and a great basis for whatever you want to do with it...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
El-Lobo

Post by El-Lobo »

From the "What's a Real Manx" section of this website. "The 1st floorpan model, produced into the 70's, had stiffening tubes glassed under the fenders from the pedal bulkhead to the engine bulkhead. These were first made of cardboard tubes glassed in and later a few with 2" vacuum cleaner hose glassed in place, but finally a fiberglass shape was tooled, which formed a tube-like structure under both fenders." Mine are exactly 2 inches in diameter and fit that bill....Perhaps there were not too many made during that transition. I'd like to hear more from Bruce himself. I might be pushing it. But I don't think I'm wrong.
tim morgan

Post by tim morgan »

You may have to load it on a trailer and bring it to him to see,,Some times pitchers dont tell the whole story,,And if he is still unsure,Slip him a few bucks,,LOL
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Does it have the twisted flatstock body mounts from the top of the rear shock? All the ones I have seen have 3 bolts thru the fiberglass. Image Image
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Does it have the twisted flatstock body mounts from the top rear shock mounts? I have only seen the twisted mount with 3 mounting hole on original Manx bodys. Image Image
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="ellobo;13858"]I just got word from Winnie.... "I would have to say that your buggy is one of the many copies. The tubes are not in keeping with the Meyers Manx tubes, which is the one thing that the copiers didn't seem to do." "Sorry! - Winnie" Thanks guys for your input. Awwww Maaan...What to do now?[/QUOTE] Hey Pedro! I've got one of those and am reconstructing it as: "Ol' Red's brother-in law" Outside the family, no one will know the difference. Heh, Heh Heh!
El-Lobo

Post by El-Lobo »

The hardware is no longer there. But it does have three holes in the body just like yours. Image
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Carefully clean the inside bottom of the spare tire well. Check if you see the impression of a short piece of scotch tape in the gel coat. Lets see a picture of the dash frame and the screws that held the abs dash to the frame/hood. Does it have "Z" bars to support the front of the body?
El-Lobo

Probably beating a dead horse....

Post by El-Lobo »

Here's some pics of the dash/frame mounts... Image Inside of dash mount... And an old Wasps nest. Image And steering mount underneath. Nice mess I have. Image There is no other Z-type hardware to support the body to frame and I don't see any impression of tape in the well. It's allready been "Carefully Cleaned".
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Pedro, Only Bruce and Winnie can verify a Meyers Manx is genuine. However, if I was in your situation and I owned that specific buggy, I would do whatever it took to ensure Bruce had a good opportunity to personally inspect it. He needs to see the ABS dash, the metal dash frame and that little aluminum angle(see bottom drawing) under the windshield, the rollbar and even the hardware. The early kits included the aluminum angle but phased it out when they changed from a flat rubber windshield mounting strip to a molded U shaped one. It was about the same time they switched from the foil backed emblem sticker to the plastic emblem. Do you see the two little welded spacers that the VW steering column clamp rests on? Check the bottom drawing, its correct. Do you see the slotted truss head bolts that attach the lower leg of the dash frame to the body? That's the correct original hardware that B. F. Meyers & Co. supplied with the kit for use throughout the buggy(see top picture). The slotted head bolts were crap and easy to strip out, but that's what they gave you. The bolts that connect the aluminum angle, dash and frame should also be slotted truss head bolts, but much smaller. Check the underside of the body for the worn impression of the Z-bar supports. They should be where the forward tank clamp bolts. Changing the subject just for the sake of trivia, do you see ghost image of the bracket that the spare tire is secured to? I haven't seen one of those since the early 70s, when I chucked the one that came with my kit. That may be the single rarest original Meyers Manx component. Nelson Image Image