Playing at the Pismo Dunes

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Manx#102

Playing at the Pismo Dunes

Post by Manx#102 »

Having grown up and grown old at the Pismo Dunes. Just wondering does anyone here still go there?
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Yes people still go there. A group of friends and I are going to be there from Friday to monday October 16th to the 19th camping on the beach. We all have glass body buggies. If you get a chance stop by. I also have a friend that has lived in Grover Beach all his life that has a sand rail that will be there too.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Manx#102

Post by Manx#102 »

Thanks for your reply Joseph. We will try to get out there that weekend. Probably on Sunday is what I am thinking now. Again thanks for your reply and I am looking forward to meeting you and your friends. Randy
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Randy Manx #102, I sorry to say that the group of us that was coming to Pismo for the weekend of Oct 16 are not going to make it due to unforseen events that have happened. We are trying to figure out when we can all make it to Pismo in the near future.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Manx#102

Post by Manx#102 »

[QUOTE="jsturtlebuggy;14912"]Randy Manx #102, I sorry to say that the group of us that was coming to Pismo for the weekend of Oct 16 are not going to make it due to unforseen events that have happened. We are trying to figure out when we can all make it to Pismo in the near future.[/QUOTE] Sorry to hear that you cannot make it this weekend Joseph. Thank you for letting me know and I will look forward to when you and your group can.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I just booked the Xmas week at Pismo So I will be there between Dec 26 - 31
Manx#102

Post by Manx#102 »

That week should work out for us to visit with you Gene. As both my wife and I are on vacation. Looking forward to meeting you and Gadget.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Randy, Manx #102, The trip that was cancelled for this month has been reset for November 20-22th next month. All that were coming before will be there. If you come up to visit look for a Big Yellow fiberglass buggy, a Turista, and an Orange Manxter.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Manx#102

Post by Manx#102 »

[QUOTE="jsturtlebuggy;15032"]Randy, Manx #102, The trip that was cancelled for this month has been reset for November 20-22th next month. All that were coming before will be there. If you come up to visit look for a Big Yellow fiberglass buggy, a Turista, and an Orange Manxter.[/QUOTE] Thanks for the update Joseph. I will try to get out there on Saturday Nov. 21. Also you have a neat mixture of buggies there. I am looking forward to seeing all of them.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Hey guys, don't forget some snap shots to share with us all,,, I hear a lot about the Pismo Dunes and would like to see more of it!!
Manx#102

Post by Manx#102 »

Mel, I posted two more pictures to give you and others a little more of an idea of the Pismo Dunes area in my first post. I will take some pictures that hopefully will turn out good when Joseph, Gene C., the Maniac and others come here. Randy
Manx#102

Post by Manx#102 »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard;15034"]Hey guys, don't forget some snap shots to share with us all,,, I hear a lot about the Pismo Dunes and would like to see more of it!![/QUOTE] Mel, I did not have any luck getting out to the Pismo Dunes last weekend when jsturtlebuggy/Joseph and friends were out there (apologies) or this Thankgiving weekend. But I will try again in December when Gene C. is out there. So no new pictures from me. But hopefully someone can post some recent pictures of their Pismo trips. But later I will post some old pictures from the days when all of the Dunes were open and hopefully some pictures from the upcoming December trip to the dunes. Randy
Manx#102

Post by Manx#102 »

Back in the 60s and 70s at Pismo pictures. 1. Lunch at the top of Devil's Slide with our purple buggy in the middle. Devil's Slide is the tallest dune at Pismo at about 800 feet from the bottom of it on the beach itself to the top. The first 200 feet of it was the challenge after that it leveled out somewhat and was just a long climb to the top with fantastic views from there. Sadly unless you walk it today nobody will see it or the views as that area has been closed since 1982. 2. Some of the best bowls and hardest hills to climb were south of Oso Flaco Lake. Pictured is a Corvair powered Glitter Bug called "Big Red". Again this area has been closed since 82. 3. The FunBugs Buggy Clubs camp in the dunes at the bottom of MaidenForm Flats. This is also where the sand drags were held for many years. 4. Our Manx with me in back enjoying the miles and miles of open dunes back then.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I sure Miss Devils slide, I think about it alot The ride to it was fun in it self but your right the climb was somthing else. I first did it, we made it too the top and then my girlfriend at the time says "oops I forgot my camera" so again we went Yep only the lucky were there
Manx#102

Post by Manx#102 »

We were very lucky to have been able to enjoy it all back in the day. I still miss it all also, everytime I go to Pismo I look past the fences and dream of the old days.