Someone's pride and joy...

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid;15269"]I've decided not to go for the Invader, I can't seem to find the time/energy to carry out the changes I want to do to the Manx this winter let alone start another build... It's getting 4 bolt hubs, 8x15 and 5 1/2x15 EMPI Sprintstars with 255/70x15 and 195/60x15 tires, a Signiture Manx column support and maybe a crackle black finish to the dashboard and a general de-clutter. I'm still looking for some 'flower power' vinyl to cover the hardtop with if anyone knows of a source.[/QUOTE] Dave, not sure if you have the sprintstars yet, but Charlie Abbott had a really nice set of them last time I round his place,,, only thing is, I think they were 5 lug. Maybe he will do you a swap, I take it you have his email being an ex MX5 driver too :). Try William Marston trimming supplies for your flower power vinyl, they may have something, very helpful too, so may even mail you a sample. Tel > 0121 643 0534... I spoke to Rob a while back about his flower power top, he did tell me how he did it, but I forgot now,,, when I said it don't look like the original ones, he seemed to have that pissed off look about him. I've only ever seen one of those flower tops and that was in France 97,, theres a picture of it on page 80 in hales a to z book. I think Robs method was more like a trip down B & Q for some of those stencils they sell for painting flowers on kids bedroom walls, I guess it fools a few though. I should be seeing Rob soon, so if ya like I'll ask him again, if your happy with that look.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I've got all the 4 lug stuff, brake drums and hubs, bolts etc. so I'll stick with my wheels for now ta...here's the rears... Image I got the column bracket off that w*nk*r in Stratford that messed me around no end, a Bugpack exhaust flange is a great substitute for the missing column plate and the 'shield' shaped bulkhead plate off Australian eBay. Image
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid;15272"] Image[/QUOTE] DAVE, can you remove all that ironwork from the gel coat please??, I don't bloody well know,,,,, I make you a damn buggy and THATS how you treat it!! :)
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

The color and finish on that is amazing! Mel, you're a gel coat artist.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="CairoManx;15279"] Mel, you're a gel coat artist.[/QUOTE] I've never been called that before,,,, Dave may say 'piss artist' :). TBH, a kid of five could brush the gel coat into a mold and get the same result, its the mold that does the work. I've known guys to mess about polishing every item that they take from a mold, but if you spend time getting the mold good in the first place, then there's no need to keep polishing everything that you release from it,, so it saves time in the long run. Meyers, is the real artist, and TBH it was only after going on the 97 & 98 Manx club Baja trips and spending time with the Bruce that inspired me learn how to do it, mainly because we could not get them in england at that time.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

That gel coat's exactly 10 years old now as well Mel, almost to the day...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
manx4dan

Post by manx4dan »

Mel, When I saw the photo of Daves's parts on the buggy, I shuddered too, mainly because my buggy's finish is painted rather than being gelcoat. That buggy is beautiful (as was Dave's green one!!) and looks like it was just made.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I assure you they were only gently placed there for the pic, they aren't stored there...the old gel-coat's tough stuff though. I've got an opening hood to fit to the car that'll need the headlight mounts on the body removing and smoothing so it's been put away until the car needs painting...around 2050 then I recon... Same as this one... Image
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Dave, if we could find out what the original pigment color code was,(I've forgot) that same pigment could be mixed with Duratec clear gloss coat and it would look the same as the gel coat and just as tough. In fact it is more like a thinned down gel, but used for coating plugs, so it uses the same pigment and the same catalyst as normal brush on gel (which your buggy has). I pigmented some Duratec clear with black pigment last year and spray painted (with a normal spray gun) a canoe plug. After making the mold, I made a black hull with brush gel and NO WAY could I tell them apart on the finish. I have pics of both hulls. The lamp pods would be more tricky to do, as they would need to be blown in and blended into the original orange, which would take a bit of work, unless you cut them off, then shutter up the top with something that keeps real tight to the body, then gel up from the underside of the fender, followed by glassing it up with CSM. Worth giving the lifting hood a go IMO, before messing with the original lamp pods. I just love the way the headlamps sit on those lifting hoods, its not much,, just a little lower and a little closer together,, go for it Dave!!!
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard;15288"]Dave, if we could find out what the original pigment color code was,(I've forgot) that same pigment could be mixed with Duratec clear gloss coat and it would look the same as the gel coat and just as tough. In fact it is more like a thinned down gel, but used for coating plugs, so it uses the same pigment and the same catalyst as normal brush on gel (which your buggy has). I pigmented some Duratec clear with black pigment last year and spray painted (with a normal spray gun) a canoe plug. After making the mold, I made a black hull with brush gel and NO WAY could I tell them apart on the finish. I have pics of both hulls. The lamp pods would be more tricky to do, as they would need to be blown in and blended into the original orange, which would take a bit of work, unless you cut them off, then shutter up the top with something that keeps real tight to the body, then gel up from the underside of the fender, followed by glassing it up with CSM. Worth giving the lifting hood a go IMO, before messing with the original lamp pods. I just love the way the headlamps sit on those lifting hoods, its not much,, just a little lower and a little closer together,, go for it Dave!!![/QUOTE] Mmmm...maybe in the spring??? I'll think it over. You told me at the time it was Llewellyn-Ryland tangerine I think. I know what you mean about the headlights though.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid;15291"]You told me at the time it was Llewellyn-Ryland tangerine I think. [/QUOTE] They do two color charts Dave, its a little confusing, but if its from the Standard Range LR chart, which is listed as Tangerine then the code will be > 3957. If its from their bigger chart there are loads of different shades of orange which have Ral or BS numbers by each colour, if you quote these numbers in a motor factors they can mix paint to match from those codes. But if its from the standard range, which I think yours is, then the 3957 number is NOT a BS or RAL number and its almost impossible to get a perfect match mixed in car paints, they can put one of those photo machine things on the gel, but I've never seen a perfect match done that way,,, just close to it. You can still buy a minimum of 1/2 kg of 3957 pigment and mix it with the clear Duratec though, which would be better than car paint anyway,and keep it matching the rest of the buggy.