Baja Trips

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid;15342"] After reading Bruce's piece in the latest newsletter I was all fired up for a return visit and thought I may be able to count you in, you've pissed on my chips now though...[/QUOTE] NO NO NO NO Dave, don't let me put you off,, its not much better in London now days,,, I had to go to Seven Sisters Road two years ago, and I kid you not, the place was just like a third world country from what I saw. I now avoid that place like the plague. I'm sure Gordon Brown or the Queens chauffeurs don't take that route through London, maybe they should, then they could see the problems there,, I counted 3 fatal shooting police witness signs within just a small area,, I reckon it must have been safer in the blitz. Anyway, if you wonna take the risk & join the gringos for a Baja trip, let me know and I'll start saving up to renew my passport, just make sure you hire the meanest and fastest 4x4 they have and tie an anvil to your right foot, just till we get a little south,,, think of it more like seven sisters road and we will be fine!!! :)
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

It has been a few year for me since I have been to Baja. I really like the San Felipe area. When I was there it was more friendly than the west side around Ensenada. Reading the story Bruce wrote for the Manx Mania about their trip to Baja sure made it sound inviting to go again. Still not sure how safe it would be in many other area's. As for the trouble here in the States at least you can carry weapons to defend yourself.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
ralphdjeeper

Post by ralphdjeeper »

Hi Mel, i will have to make mine like that one,then i might go,thanks for posting.
Manx#102

Post by Manx#102 »

[QUOTE="CairoManx;15343"] You need to be careful where you go on public land too. There's a good chance you'll stumble on an armed Mexican gang's pot growing operation. It will probably get a lot worse before it gets better. Might as well go to Baja, it ain't any safer here.[/QUOTE] I do not need to go to Baja to get into trouble with Mexican drug gangs. Just 25 miles east into the Los Padres National Forest. Where this year alone 48 pot farm operations have been uncovered. The other sad part is almost all of the National Forest you see pictured here has now been destroyed by a fire started at one of the pot growing operations.
theManiac

Post by theManiac »

Just like the news on tv or the radio, you only seem to hear about the bad stuff!!! As Bruce's story goes & many others like it, "GOOD TIMES" can still be had down in Baja!!! In reality, there are places here in the "Good Ol' USA" that you couldn't pay me enough to drive thru, due to the lawlessness that resides there!!! Heck, there are a few places right here in Ventura that you do not want to drive thru during the daytime, muchless at night!!! On a side note... recently, 2 of the Jeeps that were taken down in Baja, that I mentioned in my previous post, were found down in San Diego. Both had been massively stripped!!! The owners were notified that their vehicles were found, but not that they were stripped!!! They drove down to find just frames & the body tubs!!! Both Jeeps had been "tricked out", but since the insurance companies were never notified & the policies updated, they only get the replacement value of a stock Jeep!!!
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I feel bad raining on the Baja parade but reality it is After Ken T and I were looking down the barrels of M-16's when we got stopped down there and after I got the color back in my skin from turning so white, we talked about how much off road we have here and that is when we started going on Mojave Rd, Death Valley etc. We are fortunate Granted Baja is some of the last of the Wild West,and will always have it's mystic charm that draws us, and it is an adventure by all means I just think you need to know whats really happening so you are prepared and not just be in a romance cloud going down there Gene C
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="gene c;15376"] Ken T and I were looking down the barrels of M-16's when we got stopped down there Gene C[/QUOTE] Now that would scare the $hit out of me. Dave & Pete, if your looking cancel that hire truck, we need an upgrade > http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large ... 9468&cat=1
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard;15382"]Now that would scare the $hit out of me. Dave & Pete, if your looking cancel that hire truck, we need an upgrade > http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large ... 9468&cat=1[/QUOTE] I found just the Chenowth Buggy for the job Mel...fun and security... Image I think it was one of Dave Fisher's builds... I typed in that airbourne-combat web address and this cutie greeted me...she could come too if she wanted... Image
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid;15385"]I found just the Chenowth Buggy for the job Mel...fun and security... Image I think it was one of Dave Fisher's builds... I typed in that airbourne-combat web address and this cutie greeted me...she could come too if she wanted... Image[/QUOTE] Dave, I best take the chick with me in the Cheiftain, because I promised her mom that I'd get her back home safe & well!. You take buggy Pete with you in the FAV replica,, Good Luck ol boy!!