Christmas in Boreggo ***CHANGE***

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Art3358

Post by Art3358 »

[QUOTE="Buggybob;15401"]Still digging out of this snow storm here in Reno. I hope everybody has a great time. Post lots of pics for us who need a buggy fix. Bob[/QUOTE]Looks like you guys up north are getting it pretty good. I don't think I would like bugging in the snow. We are just getting cold weather in the Antelope Valley. It was 21 when I showed up to work in Palmdale this morning. Stay warm.
Art3358

Post by Art3358 »

[QUOTE="jsturtlebuggy;15398"]Art, I looked at the forecast for Julian for Friday and Saturday at is says 48' high and 33' low at night with showers. Cindy told me that there is high winds expected in the area. Because of the wind and not that many people going I made my decision not to go at this time. It is a 12 hour drive for me.[/QUOTE] I don't blame you if it is a 12 hr drive. It is about 3-4 for me. I am a bit bummed. All packed and ready to go. I assume we would spend most of our time in the desert vearses the higher country. I have been out there when weather was not good on the west side of the mountains and not bad in the desert. I just checked the forcast for Borrego Springs. Friday Low-mid 40, high-low 60, partly cloudy. Saturday Low-mid 40 high-mid 60, chance of showers. I am still a go. If the trip gets canceled please post. I am leaving tomorrow.
Art3358

Post by Art3358 »

I just talked to Cindy and it looks like quite a few folks are opting out or waiting until Friday to decide if they are going. I was going out on Thursday. I think I will opt out unless I hear of others going. I am packed and ready to go.
MojaveMel

Post by MojaveMel »

We've been sitting on the fence waiting for the latest weather info also. So far it's looking iffy. I already called the resort and canceled our reservation just in case. They said others had canceled also. I was looking forward to the run. Haven't been out overnight since Big Bear.
Art3358

Post by Art3358 »

My wife and I decided to go. Worst cace scenario we take the pick up to Julian for Apple pie. Hope to see some of you.
glasstub

glasstub

Post by glasstub »

we will be there on fri. rain or shine borrego here we come.
MojaveMel

Post by MojaveMel »

We made a decision tonight not to go. Glad to hear someone is going to be there. Have a great time even if it rains.
blonds-run-amuck

Post by blonds-run-amuck »

I am still planning on showing up. I have buggy friends (RETIRED) who have been in boreggo for the past 5 weeks. If nothing else, I will hook up with them. They know the best trails!!
justbugn

Post by justbugn »

We have cancelled out due to the weather forecast. The RV park has reported quite a few folks have cancelled their reservations as well. I did receive a few E-mails tonite that some folks may just show up if the weather improves. Call me if you have any questions.. 951-212-0126//677-0205 Good luck and enjoy!! Hope to see everyone at Calico in 2010.
BuggyBob

Post by BuggyBob »

I hope you guys get a break in the weather.
MojaveMel

Borrego Badlands

Post by MojaveMel »

Looks like my wife has now invited some folks to dinner Friday so even if the weather improves we're stuck at home. One other thing... Years ago we were camped in the Borrego badlands south of Ocotillo Wells when it started to rain. In a light rain a front of mud the consistency of plaster came down a wash, followed by water runoff. Fortunately it wasn't deep. Some of the washes drain a lot of acreage. The narrow Split Mt cut drains 44,000 acres. Even if it isn't raining where you are flash floods can come down from miles away. We've seen vehicles out there buried to their windows. If you see water or mud coming best to get to high ground until you know the danger level.
FAKMANX

Post by FAKMANX »

For those who are still planning on a weekend in Borrego. I would suggest camping in Borrego Springs, as there is less of a chance of flooding in this valley than there is in Shelter Valley, where Stagecoach RV is located. The Oasis Inn and RV's phone # is (760) 767-5409. As Barbra said there is a group of buggies that have been camping here for weeks, even through this wild storm we had earlier this week. This next storm wont be that bad, and I will bet its only an ocassional shower at most. Barbra let me know if your going to be out at Bruce's place. I think I will set the motorhome out there for the weekend.
blonds-run-amuck

Post by blonds-run-amuck »

looks like I'm going to wimp out! I just talked to friends down there and they said it is already raining at "Bruce's Place" and looks ugly. Looks like a Christmas shopping weekend instead!
Art3358

Post by Art3358 »

Well this was probably one of the smallest Manx trips ever. Cindy Cornelius was nice enough to get in touch with me to give us the heads up that the trip was in jeopardy because of weather so we were warned. My wife and I had a bad case of cabin fever so it was off to Anza Borrego. We arrived on Thursday and the weather was cloudy but it did not rain. We unloaded the buggy and set up camp. Friday morning was cloudy but still no rain so we went on a short run just to check out the area. We had seen the California?s Gold show on Anza Borrego and new there was plenty to explore if bugging was not possible. On the way out of camp 2 more buggies showed up. Mike and his wife Patti showed up with their newly built buggy along with Mike?s father and his wife Marli. We went for a short drive while they unpacked. When we got back to camp the six of us hooked up and got to know each other. We had pot luck dinner and shared stories. We planned our next day. On Saturday the weather looked bad but still no real rain. We loaded up the buggies and off we went. We decided to not do the rough the stuff because we were not familiar with the area and bad weather loomed. So we cruised the Blair Valley area. We went to the Pictographs, Morteros and Marshal South Home area. After that we went to Borrego Springs and visited the many steel sculptures scattered throughout the desert. I highly recommend this. There are over 40 of them in a 3 square mile area in the middle of the desert. They are very impressive. After that we spent some time at the visitor center. It also is very nice and free. Then it was off to lunch at a really good taco stand we had stumbled across. Next to the stand was a 67 Towd for sale that looked like a good deal. I will post pics later. Then we were going to go to Fonts Point but unfortunately one of the buggies had transmission issues so we headed home rather than take a chance. That evening we had to go to Julian for hot apple pie. (Ala mode of course) We enjoyed the Xmas lights. The town is very quaint. All in all we had a fun trip. Met some really nice members and want to return in spring. We missed seeing the larger group but do understand the weather projections were not good. We look forward to the next event.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Thank you Art for the report of the trip. I hope to make it there when the weather forcasts are better.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970