Manx rollbar

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
73SpeedBuggy

Manx rollbar

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

I my manx rollbar arrived today and I'm really stumped on exactly where the "L" brackets it came with are supposed to go.  does anyone have any pictures of one of these installed? Especially a picture of the "L" brackets mounted?

Manx rollbar

Post by 1856 »

The L bracket bolts the the shock tower using the slotted single hole and to through body using two bolt side and aligning with the two bolt flange welded to the role bar. Before you drill any holes measure the hoop height from the top of the roll bar to the body on each side and lay-out the project twice. It's not unusual if to find that L bracket is not a universal fit ...have fun.
Mark
Last edited by 1856 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73SpeedBuggy

Manx rollbar

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

OK, so the bracket is actually going OUTSIDE the tub and on the shock tower, not on the frame around the pan?
MyBlueBuggy

Manx rollbar

Post by MyBlueBuggy »

Yes, it goes on the outside of the body.
73SpeedBuggy

Manx rollbar

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

I see now. I was extremely confused becaused my old rollbar went all the way to the floorpan.  I didn't notice how much shorter this one was and thought it was supposed to do the same thing.  Thanks for setting me straight.

Manx rollbar

Post by 1856 »

Adam, I did add a piece to the bottom of the bar so landed on the pan ...I found the tub depth on each side different on most our buggies ... so before drilling any holes stand back and look at the horizontal alignment with bar to the windshield frame.
Mark
Last edited by 1856 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5150bossman

Manx rollbar

Post by 5150bossman »

We all love a good 'oldschool' buggy.  But you should really consider going to a full cage as soon as possible.  The single hoop has a tendancy to fold over if you roll over at any kind of speed.  We lost a good friend in a buggy roll over a couple of years back.  Here is a pic of another roll over that dramatically illistrates what could happen.  Yes, we ran a single hoop for years, but after our friend's death, put the cage on the top of our priority list (Mel is STILL waiting for her new expresso machine  Image .  I just tell her to look at the new roll cage and pretend.....).  Image

73SpeedBuggy

Manx rollbar

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

Thanks.. I wish someone made a pre-fab cage ready to go.  I don't have the skills, tools or resources to make one and don't know where I could get one made.
We all love a good 'oldschool' buggy.  But you should really consider going to a full cage as soon as possible.  The single hoop has a tendancy to fold over if you roll over at any kind of speed.  We lost a good friend in a buggy roll over a couple of years back.  Here is a pic of another roll over that dramatically illistrates what could happen.  Yes, we ran a single hoop for years, but after our friend's death, put the cage on the top of our priority list (Mel is STILL waiting for her new expresso machine  Image .  I just tell her to look at the new roll cage and pretend.....).  Image
Last edited by 73SpeedBuggy on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dan-b

Manx rollbar

Post by dan-b »

Mike, That picture scares the cr*p out of me about running a single bar setup. I'm still in the rebuilding stage of putting my clone back together, but a full cage has gone to the front of my to do list. OUCH!!!!! But thanks for sharing. Safety first!

Dan
Last edited by dan-b on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5150bossman

Manx rollbar

Post by 5150bossman »

We ran a single hoop for years without issue. But every once in a while, we would get ourselves into trouble on a run and the thought of the single hoop in that pic would race through my mind. Two seperate occassions stand out. One was a steering problem where we almost spun out doing 60 on a narrow road in Lone Pine, the other was a spin-out into an embankment in Nipton. Fortuneately, no roll over on either case. But it was enough to scare me. When our friend had his accident, that was the final straw, so the cage went in.
73SpeedBuggy

Manx rollbar

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

5150bossman wrote:We ran a single hoop for years without issue. But every once in a while, we would get ourselves into trouble on a run and the thought of the single hoop in that pic would race through my mind. Two seperate occassions stand out. One was a steering problem where we almost spun out doing 60 on a narrow road in Lone Pine, the other was a spin-out into an embankment in Nipton. Fortuneately, no roll over on either case. But it was enough to scare me. When our friend had his accident, that was the final straw, so the cage went in.
You fab it yourself?
Ed-Chenal

Manx rollbar

Post by Ed-Chenal »

You don't need a Roll Cage unless you plan to roll your buggy....

He said facetiously.

Last edited by Ed-Chenal on Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
manxdavid

Manx rollbar

Post by manxdavid »

Here's a (borrowed) pic. if that helps...

"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
5150bossman

Manx rollbar

Post by 5150bossman »

No, Dale and I went to a guy in Simi who did them up for us.
Gary1719

Manx rollbar

Post by Gary1719 »

ImageWhat is the size of the tubing used on the Manx roll bar from the club store?