well, the time has come to disassemble

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

My hood/dash is screwed on as well.
Buggy-Bum-2

Post by Buggy-Bum-2 »

Hay Mike,Have fun R&R the bug. Great winter project. If you need any parts, let me know. The Buggy Bums have A garage Full. I"m working on my pickup dunebuggy at this time. Got the yellow one in storage for the winter. If you need any thing, let me know. Paul From the Buggy Bums :driving:
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Besides the hood being bolted down with the dash crossbar I lay more fiberglass on the inner lip of the hood then drill and tap it 1/4-20 to fasten the sides of the hood to the fenders.
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

My hood had nuts and bolts on the rear portion where you can access them, and wood screws on the front portion. When I reassemble it, I plan on using some clip nuts on the front with some cap screws.
90volts

Post by 90volts »

well, other than the weatherman screwing us up calling for a sunny day i guess we did good. thanks for all the tips and info. found out alot today. like the windshield was held on by only 4 bolts! no support otherwise. i have a bolt and nut through the body/hood on each side, the rest are screws. also found something interesting when i parted the hood from the body. i don't have welting, just a round piece of material like the top of the welting that is screwed in at both ends. looks strange(see pic). other than that... looks like we got a lot accomplished and had a lot of fun. the wiring is not looking so hot. i am thinking of letting them pull the dash and worry about the wires as is. then i can worry about re-doing it later.it sure would be nice to have those connectors like you were talking about scott. everything here is straight wired , taped to hell and tight as $hit! If anyone is interested in seeing it, i started a gallery of the work. nothing serious yet, mostly just pics of my son pulling stuff apart (hes 6). Looks like he had fun. guess we have a hobby now. :D http://photobucket.com/albums/v444/90vo ... e%20buggy/ Image
90volts

Post by 90volts »

now that its really looking like hell i am starting to wonder what i am getting myself into- LOL. Just about everything I am pulling off I decide that it needs to be replaced with new. ouch. well, its basically as far as i am going to take it for now. the only thing further i want to do is take out the buttons. is there a tool that will pop the rivets out? at first i was just going to drill them but then i saw that some don;t seem to be going all the way through the fiberglass. and some are put into some kind of interior compartment that i haven't been able to find an access to. jerry, guess what i found under one of the headlight shells- a fiberglass plug! the fiberglass mount didn;t look too bad under that one. unfortunately, the other wasn't so lucky. i didn;t find a plug and the mount was cut through pretty badly. anyway, here are a couple of pics for the pic junkies out there. Image Image
90volts

Post by 90volts »

Image Image
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

If you are taking the body off the frame you can just turn it over and fill the fiberglass headlight stands in the body with fiberglass. I did that on my Siggy Manx and it works real nice and leaves a nice flat surface for the nut to tighten against.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

Mike, Looks like you got a good jump start on it. I would just drill the snaps out. The holes need to be filled anyway?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Looks like your getting there Mike...:D
90volts

Post by 90volts »

Image Image
90volts

Post by 90volts »

just an update. still waiting on the paint... :x they said they are planning on getting it in primer this week and sanding and paint next week. they finally got moving on it again last week. hoping to get it out of there in the next couple weeks. still piling up parts. got my 2 hurst shifters in and i want to see which will fit better ste straight or angles and want to see how my shift bushing looks. still hoping to be done by mid may. thats the deadline. want to make it to bugout! :driving:
fubar

Post by fubar »

Looks like a lot of work, are you going to change the filler neck for the fuel tank? I was thinking of glassing mine in and moving the filler and or the tank. Perhaps a Dzues fastened hatch for access??? I hate waiting for painters.
90volts

Post by 90volts »

the body is FINALLY in primer! now we're moving again. i think they are making a big push to get it done now. lull in insurance work maybe? i didn't see even one lexus in the shop... :D going to do a black base and then House of Kolor flake. orange. F18.coarse flake (standard size - 1/64 in).
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Sounds like they are getting there Mike...