Manx II #1493 Build

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

lol I wish. I have a couple of weeks off starting this week so I plan to get some serious work done, God and wife willing. Pan and suspension parts are all ready to go to the sand blasters, just waiting on the funding to appear. Then it will be time to get it rolling. I will probably start back on the fiberglass work this week. Thanks for asking.

--louis
towd-dude

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by towd-dude »

I'm seeing some really nice work going on here. Keep notes and pictures and submit a build story for the Manx Mania. Lot's of folks who don't follow you on this site would love to see your work and get tips for their builds. You are keeping the dream alive......
Bob
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Thanks for the comments Bob. I will be the first to admit that I am not an expert and I have borrowed or adapted most of these ideas from other people. I have had a lot of help from other veedubers over the years and would be happy to pay it forward as an overview or tech article. The cars may be the focus of our hobby but its the people you meet that make it great.

Thanks,

--louis
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

For kicks and giggles I decided to mock up the buggy with the new rims & tires to see what it would look like. I was a little concerned that the front tires were too wide for the look I want but I am happy with them now that I see them up against the buggy. I may go a little lower than this in the end but not too much. I still have not been able to get the rear tires to seat correctly so I may end up taking them to the tire shop.

--louis
10ovr

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by 10ovr »

Looks good,,,, If you can,Break the bead,,Soap the rim up Real good with dish soap,,Take out the valve steam and hit it with a 100+ lbs of air,,It well seat,,,,Tire paste is better,But soap well work,,,,Note,,When it dose seat,,It's gonna make a loud pop,,,,
Last edited by 10ovr on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed-Chenal

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by Ed-Chenal »

[b]10ovr[/b] wrote:Looks good,,,, If you can,Break the bead,,Soap the rim up Real good with dish soap,,Take out the valve steam and hit it with a 100+ lbs of air,,It well seat,,,,Tire paste is better,But soap well work,,,,Note,,When it dose seat,,It's gonna make a loud pop,,,,
That sounds like a good way to get the tire bead to seat on the rim but I think you want to remove the valve core which is inside the valve stem. 
Ed
10ovr

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by 10ovr »

Ed Chenal wrote:
[b]10ovr[/b] wrote:Looks good,,,, If you can,Break the bead,,Soap the rim up Real good with dish soap,,Take out the valve steam and hit it with a 100+ lbs of air,,It well seat,,,,Tire paste is better,But soap well work,,,,Note,,When it dose seat,,It's gonna make a loud pop,,,,
That sounds like a good way to get the tire bead to seat on the rim but I think you want to remove the valve core which is inside the valve stem. 
My Bad,,,I meant core,,Thanks Ed
Ed-Chenal

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Your suggestion reminded me of my youth.   I spent six years working at two Chevron Dealers in SoCal during High School and College.  Only the Lord knows how many car and truck tires I fixed/changed.  Both gas stations were located in the vicinity of Newhouse Automotive, a popular after market retailer.  Guys would buy chrome or spoke wheels for their cars and have us swap them out.  For several of those years, we did the whole job without the aid of a pneumatic changer.  To make the tires slide on easier, we used some stuff called "Rubber Lube."
Ed
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

That is pretty much the method that we used to seat the front tires but the rears are not cooperating. They may be a little too wide.

Thanks,

--louis
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Been working on the fenders over the past few days. Got one sanded down and the other ready to be sanded. I still need to do a little shaping and some more filler before they are done.

Passenger side ready for filler and final shaping:

Grinding down the driver's side before laying 'glass.

Waiting on it to dry:

It has been raining non-stop here for several days and the temp is up in the '90s. I have been trying to work on it early in the morning before it gets too hot. I am so ready for fall.

Thanks,

--louis
Gary1719

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by Gary1719 »

Louis can you come over show me how that is done i have never messed with glass work before, you make it look easy. My buggy looks like the same color as yours. Gary1719
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Hi Gary,

I use West Marine's epoxy fiberglass system for all the repairs. If you go to their website they have some nice tutorials on how to use their system and it is pretty fool proof. I will say its not cheap though. I save a little money by buying my matt and cloth form the Meglomart.

--louis
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

I have been down for the past week with a major sinus infection. That and the fact that we have had 100+ temp and 98% humidity for the past couple of weeks means I didn't get anything done last week. But if I go too long without working on the Manx I feel like a bad parent so I sucked it up today and spent a couple hours sanding on it. Got the driver's side fender roughed in and most of the Passenger's side fender filled and sanded.

I also started dealing with this issue. As you can see the lip does not line up correctly with the top hat. I drilled a hole in the front and put in an eye bolt backed with a fender washer. Then hooked up the come-along and started stretching it. I used the halogen lamps in the bottom of the picture to add a little heat as well. It seems to be working but it's not where I want it just yet.

Time for a beer.

--louis
Gary1719

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by Gary1719 »

Louis are you stretching that into shape with the comealong?
10ovr

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by 10ovr »

My body was so twisted from sitting on a bent frame the I had to use a propane heater and stretcher bar to get it back in shape,,,The more heat the better,,, Looken good buddy,,,,